What's new

Note 2 vs iPhone 5 ( SUPER IN DEPTH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprusx

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm doing research about the Galaxy Note 2 and iPhone 5 and have compiled a list of each devices advantages. Please I don't want no fan-boyish or trolling comments. Just want to do some peaceful research for a project im doing about the pros of both devices. If I have made some errors or forgotten something plz let me know. There must be something I have left out for the Iphone 5 ? Thanks

Galaxy Note 2

OS

Real multitasking (IOS tends to hang up apps in the background while android keeps them running,http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ndroid-and-ios Also the actual multitasking menu is much more intuitive, with tumbnails ect)
advanced notification system
Open system-More freedom
More free apps
More sharing options
Better Google integration (YouTube, Maps, Gmail)
samsung intergration
Launchers
Lock screens
Live wallpapers
Widgets
Keyboard apps
More Control over apps
More Control Over the hardware
Easier adding Multimedia (no syncing required)
Built in Battery life analysis
Offline Dictation
Smart Alert
Smart rotation
Smart Dial
Direct Call
Pop up play
Buddy photo share
Multi burst
Advanced text prediction
Multi Window
Advanced photo gallery
Most advanced built in video player ever (GSMarena)
More Intuitive Search bar
50 GB drop box
Offline maps support
built-in reject list

Voice assistant (Google now)

Faster
More Natural voice
More accurate

Specs

Better audio quality (GSMarena)
Barometer sensor
LED indicator
RGB sensor
True blacks
1.9 megapixel front camera
NFC
Dedicated digital back and Menu buttons
microUSB 2.0 support
Vivid colors
FM radio
Removable battery
Faster upload
DLNA
Wi fi direct
Bluetooth Enhanced data rate/ low energy
USB storage
720 HD screen
Battery life
louder loudspeaker (GSMarena)
Wacom digitizer 1024 different levels of pressure sensitivity
Comes in 2 colours
More Durable

Bigger screen

Gaming
Reading ebooks
Reading Documents
Less scrolling
GPS Viewing
Photo Viewing
Web Browsing
Reading email
Video
Lage apps ( flip board ect)

S Pen

Launch apps with gestures
Editing photos
Note taking
Creating sketches
Air View - preview , emails and text, preview videos
Easy Clip - crop and share
Enhanced calendar editing
Handwriting in messages
Built into the web browser like a mouse
More Intuitive with some apps (fruit ninja ect)
Create and share notes while talking on the phone

iPhone 5

Much easier one handed use
Much lighter
Higher PPi
Natural Whites
Better Contrast ratio (GSMarena)
Brighter (GSMarena)
Faster download
Better Low light camera
Premium feel (aluminium, Glass)
louder speakers (GSMarena)
Thinner
More accessories

OS

Better Apple integration (apple tv, Macs, Itunes ect)
Voice assistant has more personality ( Jokes ect)
less ad-ware on AppStore
Less Low quality Apps
Better exclusive apps
Better landscape typing
Direct Updates
Native Auto mobile Integration
Apps launch slightly faster
Notification Bar Widget

Last edited:
Well it is going to take a bit to digest but I would say at a quick glance you have basically just posted a marketing list with about a 50% inaccuracy rate. Which means you didn't research this at all, you just pulled all the buzz words you could find off of Samsungs literature.

can you plz be specific, I researched Every single one, Their are features that IOS6 doesn't have or performs better on Jellybean, everyone knows that Jellybean has allot more features than IOS, IOS has never bean about allot of features its always been about "sticking to what works"

And yes Samsung has added some extra features that arnt on IOS like

Smart Alert

Smart rotation
Smart Dial
Direct Call
Pop up play
Buddy photo share
Multi burst

if these features are on IOS6 I will remove them

Or if I have missed something thats On IOS6 plz tell me

Last edited:
I've had a Samsung phones and I don't think the build quality is up to iPhone, I had the galaxy s3 didn't like at all, sent it back after 10 days, and now I've just bought the iPhone 5 very nice phone works well doesn't crash and that's wat people want.

Ok. Green for better, Blue for the same and Red for WRONG.

*removed from quote for easier reading*

Galaxy Note 2

OS

Real multitasking - Single largest battery killer on Android phones. I wouldn't tout that as a benefit unless you have an extra or larger battery pack
advanced notification system
- There is NOTHING advanced about Androids notification system. The only difference is what can go into it.
Open system-More freedom - Yes there is more freedom. No doubt about it. Including over 250 apps that have stolen millions of people data. And this still hasn't been fixed.
More free apps - And you get exactly what you pay for. The only area this even remotely comes into play is for SSH, FTP and other apps of a network nature/
More sharing options - First one you got right.
Better Google integration (YouTube, Maps, Gmail) - Well DUH.... It's written by Google.
samsung intergration - Personally I wouldn't brag about it more people hate it than like it.
Launchers - No question here. Being able to replace the app that allows you to customize the look and feel of the interface that display applications to launch is rather nice.
Lock screens - Another nice customization that is available.
Live wallpapers - Cool looking. Wastes battery like there is no tomorrow.
Widgets - Again cool looking and functional. But because they are constantly running, they eat the battery.
Keyboard apps - This is one feature Apple could learn from.
More Control over apps - Hardly. You can buy, install, use, kill and delete on both OSes.
More Control Over the hardware - Hardly. Both OSes are 100% hackable. So the hardware is what it is.
Easier adding Multimedia (no syncing required) - HUH? I guess you don't know you don't have to use iTunes any more if you don't want to.
Built in Battery life analysis
- Oh yeah. And you need it to see why your battery life inhales so profusely.
Offline Dictation -
No arguement.
Smart Alert - HUH????
Smart rotation - You can only rotate to 4 positions..... Both OSes handle that.
Smart Dial -
HUH???? What marketing crap is this about?
Direct Call - Yeah, because never having to unlock the phone with iOS and voice dialing is such a pain.
Pop up play - More marketing nonsense.
Buddy photo share - iOS has this as of version 6.
Multi burst - More marketing nonsense.
Advanced text prediction - This is a function of the keyboard app and I agree that Swype and a few others are much better.
Multi Window - Yeppers, Samsung does have this in its Galaxy line. Most useless feature EVER. But it does have it.
Advanced photo gallery - You can look at thumbnails in more than one useless way.....
Most advanced built in video player ever (GSMarena) - You can play, pause, fast foward, rewind and skip to a point. Yeah. iOS does that too....
More Intuitive Search bar - Not really. I used it for 18 months.
50 GB drop box - Yeah, Apple didn't sell out to them like Samsung did.
Offline maps support - iOS 6 has this....
built-in reject list - if you are refering to black listing phone numbers, no doubt a great feature iOS needs.

Voice assistant (Google now)

Faster - Bwahahahaha - if by faster you mean in failing to work properly, I guess you could be right.
More Natural voice - More marketing crap.
More accurate - Not even close to any kind of truth in real world usage.

Specs

Better audio quality (GSMarena) - Subjective at BEST.
Barometer sensor - Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I needed to know the exact atmospheric pressure where I was standing.
LED indicator - Yeah, Apple dropped the ball here big time.
RGB sensor - This one you need to define.
True blacks - Don't believe everything you read from Samsung
1.9 megapixel front camera - No contest that Apple needs a better camera for Facetime.
NFC - Now all you need is businesses to start using it....
Dedicated digital back and Menu buttons - YEAH! more failure points!
microUSB 2.0 support - iPhones does use a proprietary system. No arguement there.
Vivid colors - Seriously, you really need to quit believing what Samsung puts in print. Their screen doesn't even have a 1 to 1 pixel for each displayed pixel.
FM radio - Yeppers, it has one. iPhone users tend to listen to their own music and don't need to rely on FM.
Removable battery - Yes. Us iPhone users have to undo 4 screws to get to ours.
Faster upload - WiFi or cellular dependent at BEST.
DLNA - Android has that. I never used it in the 18 months I was on Android.
Wi fi direct - You are going to have to give context to that nonsense
Bluetooth Enhanced data rate/ low energy - iPhone 5 has Bluetooth 4 as well....
USB storage - Yeppers.
720 HD screen - Yeppers
Battery life - If you mean it is longer because the battery is 2.5 times larger, then YES. But if you put the same battery in an iPhone 5, it would last twice as long as the Note 2 no questions asked.
louder loudspeaker (GSMarena) - It's bigger and has more battery to back it up. DUH.
Wacom digitizer 1024 different levels of pressure sensitivity - Kind of nifty if you are going to use a 5.5" screen to create art work. Personally I would rather us a PC.
Comes in 2 colours - So does the iPhone.....
More Durable - Prove it

Bigger screen
- If you think a 5.5" screen is what you need, go for it. Personal, I recommend a tablet at that point.

Gaming
Reading ebooks
Reading Documents
Less scrolling
GPS Viewing
Photo Viewing
Web Browsing
Reading email
Video
Lage apps ( flip board ect)

S Pen - I really don't have anything to say other than every reviewer has called this feature useless. But I will give you that iOS doesn't have it.

Launch apps with gestures
Editing photos
Note taking
Creating sketches
Air View - preview , emails and text, preview videos
Easy Clip - crop and share
Enhanced calendar editing
Handwriting in messages
Built into the web browser like a mouse
More Intuitive with some apps (fruit ninja ect)
Create and share notes while talking on the phone

Last edited:
Pardon me for saying so but these comparison threads are getting old. My advice is go into a store and buy the phone that works for you. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Hey thanks for the reply skull one but your overall approach is obviously extremely negative towards android and the Note 2, which I should of expected as your a moderator on an iPhone forum. Which basically makes you a SUPER fan boy much more powerful and extreme than your average apple fan boy. which will make it pointless to get into a debate with you

And the fact that you personally don't like or think some features are pointless doesn't mean someone else wont like them or that their still a feature that the iphone doesn't have.

but still thanks for taking the time to respond, you did actually make some sensible points as well and I will adjust my list accordingly

I suggest that you read GSMareana's review of the Note 2, they do the most In-depth phone reviews on the net, I think you will learn allot about the note 2
Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 review: Writing home - GSMArena.com

You seem to totally ignore the iphone 5 side of things, what are some IOS6 features not available on the note 2

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply skull one but your overall approach is obviously extremely negative towards android and the Note 2, which I should of expected as your a moderator on an iPhone forum. Which basically makes you a SUPER fan boy much more powerful and extreme than your average apple fan boy. which will make it pointless to get into a debate with you

And the fact that you personally don't like or think some features are pointless doesn't mean someone else wont like them or that their still a feature that the iphone doesn't have.

but still thanks for taking the time to respond, you did actually make some sensible points as well and I will adjust my list accordingly

I suggest that you read GSMareana's review of the Note 2, they do the most In-depth phone reviews on the net, I think you will learn allot about the note 2

You seem to totally ignore the iphone 5 side of things, what are some IOS6 features not available on the note 2

Excuse me. You don't know Skull. I do. We started out together on the Original Droid. We helped build one of the largest and best Android Forums on the Internet. Let me tell you to rest assurred, Skull is not an iPhone Fan Boy. Skull looks at the big picture and in your case your pros and cons were as Skull said nothing more then what someone reads off a brochure.

I have had 3 Android phones, my last one was the Bionic and it was a very excellent phone. Yes, I had living wall paper and a whole lot of widgets and stuff. My battery, on a good day lasted 8 hours. When I go to bed tonight I'll probably still have over 50% of my battery on my iPhone5.

And the comment about Samsung. Skull nailed it but I'm going to reallyl nail it. I can't think of a single Samsung phone that got an OS upgrade when Android had one available.

So get to know someone before you make accusations and unnecessary comments. And unnecessary threads.

Last edited:

I would like to thank hookbill for his very kind words. He and I do go back about 3 years now because of the Android community.

First and foremost I am not a fanboi of any phone. And your assumption that my status here has anything to do with being a fanboi is greatly mistaken. So allow me to introduce myself so you understand with whom you are debating.

I am a professional software and electronics engineer. I have held these titles for almost 30 years now. My background goes from PCs all the way thru to mainframe computers. I am fluent in over 20 computer languages, 6 CPUs for assembly level programming and have been certified by the Department of Defense as an expert in board level electronic repair.

My Android experience is actually more extensive than my iOS experience. Primarily because I spent 12 months studying the Android source code. Because of that experience I was a consultant to three different ROM making teams for 14 months. Along with that I also helped write the first set of articles for overclocking Android based phones. And I don't mean just how to change a text file with the frequencies, I am speaking about pulling the actual governors, frequency multipliers and CPU designs apart so that I could show how best to deal with voltage issues as well as time spent in the minimum and maximum frequencies to avoid overheating and severe battery drain.

The second thing you should know about me is, I only deal in facts. Which is why I didn't address the iPhone 5 side of things. Simply put I don't own one yet. Now for your list I didn't speak directly to the Samsung S Pen because I only have played with it on the Note 1. As for the rest, I have enough direct experience with those items to make solid comments that are defensible.

Now to address your concerns, I agree 100% that my personal opinion should never be used to help make anyone's purchasing choice. The good news is, I only voiced my personal opinion 7 times. And of those only 5 could be considered biased but only just barely.

And I have been reading every article on the Samsung Note 2 since it was announced. I am considering buying one as a backup phone. Plus I want to keep my knowledge base on Android current since my Motorola Droid A855 and Droid X will never have an Android 4 upgrade released for them.

Hope that helps you understand my perspective, perception and opinion of your post.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info skull, very impressive resume.

You have to admit that you did come across sounding very critical towards android and the Note 2, You may have had some bad experiences with older android phones in the past maybe.

But like you said you didn't comment on the Iphone 5 side because you don't own one, yet you seem very opinionated about the Note 2 which you also admit you don't have one and you simply judge the Note 2 on older android phones you have had, so you see this comes across as contradictory.

But I don't think everything you said was factually wrong, you said some good points as well that ill adjust to my list.

But I think I'm better of Sticking to the Note 2 forums as they actually own the Note 2 so would be obviously better off assisting me.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Pardon me for saying so but these comparison threads are getting old.
I couldn't agree more!! If it weren't for another member of our Staff contributing to this thread... I would be closing it at this time. Carry on... peacefully.

I honestly dont even understand why anyone would compare and debate over a 4 inch phone and a 5.55 inch mini tablet/phone... if you have a big enough pocket, why even bother with an iphone especially when the notes main marketing point is its overly large screen

Hey thanks for the info skull, very impressive resume.

You have to admit that you did come across sounding very critical towards android and the Note 2, You may have had some bad experiences with older android phones in the past maybe.

But like you said you didn't comment on the Iphone 5 side because you don't own one, yet you seem very opinionated about the Note 2 which you also admit you don't have one and you simply judge the Note 2 on older android phones you have had, so you see this comes across as contradictory.

But I don't think everything you said was factually wrong, you said some good points as well that ill adjust to my list.

But I think I'm better of Sticking to the Note 2 forums as they actually own the Note 2 so would be obviously better off assisting me.

Thanks guys

I have nothing against the Note 2. And my complaints about Android are well founded faults held by almost anyone that has done any serious software development under it. So if anything, I came across as very factual.

Example. There are currently 14 major screen resolutions with 4 XML layouts, 4 CPU configurations, 4 GPU and one software emulator, 3 versions of SQL Lite (that I am currently aware of) and finally with 18 API libraries available to compile against. Making an app that works across all phones with that many variables is impossible.

To make matters worse, the NDK has only recently taken hold. So about 90% of all Android apps still have to run under the Dalvik VM which is then hosted under the Android OS. This causes a ton of issue with overhead. Which is why multitasking can be such a battery drainer.

And last but not least the user can actually, thru no fault of their own, cause the phone to miss phone calls or SMS/MMS. All they have to do is install enough apps that automatically tie to background events that the phone will be too busy trying to handle all the application requests.

A brief example. The current EBay app (plus a few thousand other ones) will launch in background when you switch from cellular data to WiFi or the other way around. Why do they do that? Because the Android notification system doesn't automatically handle the switch over. The App has to do it. So if you leave your house and all these apps fire up because you just left WiFi and you happen to get an incoming call as that occurs, you can miss that call.

Do you want to know what Android solution to that was???? Quad core CPUs. The took the Microsoft approach. Throw more hardware at the issue instead of fixing the real problem. Heck just read Google's own press releases about their projects to "speed up the user experience" because of issues just like this.

BTW, I can critique iOS with just as much firepower and I have on this very forum. ;)

I couldn't agree more!! If it weren't for another member of our Staff contributing to this thread... I would be closing it at this time. Carry on... peacefully.

Don't let little old me hold you back from doing that :D

You won't hurt my feelings in the least little bit. Plus I can still post after the thread is closed. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.