What's new

Nobody can hear me

info07

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new here, and I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same problem I am facing now with my iphone 4 and found a solution other than replacing the unit itself :D

Ok, here it goes. Nobody seems to hear me on the other side of the line, aside from the occasional noise and few seconds of conversation. I have no problem with the speaker though, I can hear them. I thought it was just a mic problem at first but, when I use Skype, it is working fine.

I tried the hard reset, restore without backup, with backup, remove skype, basically all combination I can think of but to no avail. I also tried using new mic andi even tried it with a bluetooth but nada..

I would really appreciate if anyone can figure out this problem. Oh and the OS is updated too!

cheers!
info07

Wow! If your microphone is working (Skype, voice recording, etc...) and your speaker is working, then there's no obvious reason for others not to hear you on the other end, esp if they hear you "for a few seconds." Got enough bars of signal strength? Is this everywhere or just at one location? Maybe others have other ideas....

There are two mica on the iphone4. One is at the bottom adjacent to the speaker, the other is at the top next to the earbud hole. It's used when facetiming. Try working directly into it next time as a test, if you can be heard, then the bottom
Mic is shot. My past experience is a new phone the two times mine went out. I was still under warranty.

jmsmith32210 said:
There are two mica on the iphone4. One is at the bottom adjacent to the speaker, the other is at the top next to the earbud hole. It's used when facetiming. Try working directly into it next time as a test, if you can be heard, then the bottom
Mic is shot. My past experience is a new phone the two times mine went out. I was still under warranty.

The mic next to the earbud slot is actually a noise canceling mic. :)

Yeah, I can't figure out what is the problem *sigh*. I dont think it's a signal problem, since I can hear the other party perfectly and it happens everywhere. I think the longest conversation that I made was a minute then it cut to silence.

My friend and I have tried this several times. It can't be a bug too, since I have this phone for over a year now.. it also happened before I updated the OS..

Try to call someone else and check if they also can't hear you. If yes they can't hear you then take it to apple.

Did you check your prox sensor? To test it make a call and while not on speaker slowly move your hand over the top portion of the phone (above screen). If the screen goes blank if is working OK. If it does not blank the screen the. You are probably hitting the mute while it is near your ear. My wife had this problem and we had to take the clear plastic tab off her OtterBox near that area. Works fine now. Seems to be worse for white iPhones.

dwip4 - iPhone using iPF.net

thanks for everyone's input... really appreciate it... but I guess there's no other way for me but to replace the unit..

i have talked to apple, but since i have the phone for over a year now, and out of warranty, i have to pay for 200 bucks... that's why I am hesitant to have it replace..

im not from the US by the way..

bab2010 said:
Try to call someone else and check if they also can't hear you. If yes they can't hear you then take it to apple.

yep.. the same... either I initiate the call or receive, they can't hear me.. :(

dwip4 said:
Did you check your prox sensor? To test it make a call and while not on speaker slowly move your hand over the top portion of the phone (above screen). If the screen goes blank if is working OK. If it does not blank the screen the. You are probably hitting the mute while it is near your ear. My wife had this problem and we had to take the clear plastic tab off her OtterBox near that area. Works fine now. Seems to be worse for white iPhones.

hi dwip4..
yup just tried that.. the screen went off...

Sorry, maybe it can be fixed without having to buy a new one ...