What's new

No video, sound or anything

Kezmicdust

Reaction score
Hello,

My phone recently messed up quite a bit, but none of the online fixes seem to work.

Some background: the silent switch on my phone has been broken (in silent position) for ages, but hasn’t stopped me watching videos or anything like that. It just stopped the sound on certain games and for calls which doesn’t bother me as I have it silent anyway.

Recently, something happened that means my phone cannot play any videos (any app or even one I recorded) or any sounds (podcasts, Amazon music app, even the ringtones don’t work - moving the volume bar does nothing - in fact, the phone runs very slowly and freezes when I move it). The phone seems fine apart from that (I’m writing this on my phone). I can use the phone to have a conversation but switching to speaker actually hangs up the call! Headphones and Bluetooth speakers do work and enable a video to play and music is fine too, but going to Settings - Sounds doesn’t work with headphones or Bluetooth speaker. Without those things, a video or music simply doesn’t play.

I’ve tried restarting the phone, resetting everything and have installed a back up from the cloud, but nothing has worked so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

I think it’s time for a free Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. There seems to be more wrong than just the mute switch and a diagnostic would tell you exactly what is wrong. If it’s software related the fix is often free. If the problem is a hardware fault, they will quote you a repair cost which may or may not be economical depending on how old your iPhone is.

I think it’s time for a free Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store. There seems to be more wrong than just the mute switch and a diagnostic would tell you exactly what is wrong. If it’s software related the fix is often free. If the problem is a hardware fault, they will quote you a repair cost which may or may not be economical depending on how old your iPhone is.

Ah right! Thanks for that. I’ll bring it in and update this thread in case it’s of interest to anyone!

I brought it to the Apple store in Edinburgh and the guy said he’d never seen that happen before. He did a diagnostic and it came back with issues for the speaker and microphone. He set it up as a new phone and the problem persisted so he said it’s almost certainly a hardware fault and would cost £290 to fix which is not worth it given the age of the phone.

I’m moving to another country soon so I’ll keep this one in its limited capacity til I move!

Thanks for the update. Too bad the problem couldn't be economically resolved.