What's new

No notification of new text messages

Agunat

Reaction score
My granddaughter has an iPhone (iPhone 4). She is not receiving any notice of an incoming text message although she is receiving the messages fine.. There is no badge by the text message icon showing the number of unread messages or any other indication of aa unread message being present. Under Settings/Notification Center/Messages the Badge App icon is turned on. In Settings/Messages all options are also turned on. What is she doing wrong? Help Please. Needless to say she both sending and receiving messages okay.

Thanks... Bob

What are the rest of the notification setting under messages?

What are the rest of the notification setting under messages?
I will get the phone from her tomorrow and check the settings. It may be about 9:30 PM EDT before I can repost. Is there anything else on the phone I should check while I have it?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Also check under settings for a sound designated for messages. If everything looks like it should be working, sometimes turning the setting off and then back on helps but basically, to hear a sound you must designate a sound to be heard. And badges may not pop up as notices- that is what alerts are for.

ALERTS:
Alerts let you know about important events. They can appear briefly at the top of the screen, or remain in the center of the screen until you acknowledge them.

Some apps may include a badge on their Home screen icon, to let you know how many new items await—for example, the number of new email messages. If there’s a problem—such as a message that couldn’t be sent—an exclamation mark
IL_AlertBadge.png
appears on the badge. On a folder, a numbered badge indicates the total number of notifications for all the apps inside.

BSC_folderBadge.png

Alerts can also appear on the Lock screen.

• Respond to an alert without leaving your current app. Pull down on the alert when it appears at the top of your screen.

Note: This feature works with text and email messages, calendar invitations, and more.
  • Respond to an alert when iPhone is locked. Swipe the alert from right to left.
  • Silence your alerts. Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb.
  • Set sounds and vibrations. Go to Settings > Sounds.

Last edited:
Also check that the Mute button on the side hasn't been turned to the off position.

I'm sorry, I will not have access to the phone anytime soon. I'll try all your suggestions and hope for the best. I'll post again if needed.

Thanks... Bob