What's new

No larger screens this year

ardchoille

Reaction score
From this article: iDownloadBlog

"What we've said is that until the technology is ready, we don't want to cross that line. That doesn't say we'll never do it. We want to give our customers what's right in all respects, not just the size but in the resolution, in the clarity, in the contrast, in the reliability. There are many different parameters to measure a display and we care about all those, because we know that's the window to the software."

From this article: 9 to 5 Mac

On bigger iPhones, Cook did not dismiss the idea. As before, Cook says that all aspects of smartphone screens need to be considered, not just the physical size. Regarding Apple's product pipeline in 2014, Cook said that new products are under development, but stressed that they have not hit the "ceiling" on their current products yet either. Clearly, Cook wants to set expectations that he does not see Apple at the end of the road for the current products. He said Apple can grow with "great improvements and new products on its existing category of products".

So, from what I can gather from Tim Cook himself, we won't be seeing larger screens on iPhones this year. And possible not next year either. I have to hand it to him, he stays positive and explains things rather than just saying "no".

Last edited:
This is kind of disappointing news....oh well I guess I will have to live with my current 5s. Not A bad deal....SMILE

Last edited:
I may be in the minority but that is fine with me.

I'm glad iPhones are not big dooky phones like that android one . not to mention there better at everything else who cares about the screen that's why their is a iPad

Yeah, fine with me too. I don't begrudge anyone their larger phone if that's what they want, but I just don't want to lose the smaller iPhone option.

Time will tell, It would be great if they carry on with the 4.0 and cater for those who want a bigger screen too.

These rumors are really funny. Guys and gals life is too short Apple loves to blow smoke screens and this is yet another typical smoke screen. Time will tell let's wait for the real thing.

These rumors are really funny. Guys and gals life is too short Apple loves to blow smoke screens and this is yet another typical smoke screen. Time will tell let's wait for the real thing.
Yes you're right, Its easy to get caught up in all the speculation, We just have to wait and see.

Time will tell, It would be great if they carry on with the 4.0 and cater for those who want a bigger screen too.

True. Apple can't expect to stay with a 4.0 inch screen forever, the need to stay competitive is going to force their hand sooner or later.

True. Apple can't expect to stay with a 4.0 inch screen forever, the need to stay competitive is going to force their hand sooner or later.

And what makes you think competitive means a phone too big to carry in your pocket?

And what makes you think competitive means a phone too big to carry in your pocket?

Who said anything about being too big to carry in your pocket? My HTC Evo 4G used to fit perfectly in my jeans pocket and its screen is 4.3, which by definition is "larger", with the overall device being larger than 4.3.

Did you simply assume I meant "too big to carry in your pocket"?