What's new

Next Apple Watch to Be Untethered from iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple Watch.JPG

Fortune’s Chuck Jones writes today that the next Apple Watch model will most likely be untethered from the iPhone, meaning that you won’t have to have an iPhone in order to use it. Jones points to the announcement recently posted by Apple on its developers' site stipulating that from June 1, all new watchOS apps that are submitted to the App Store for approval have to be native apps.

Jones goes on to say that there may well be an Apple Watch version 2 released by holiday season this year, if not sooner.

Jones says that while the Apple Watch has been the bestselling of all smartwatches available at the moment, still some in the industry have criticized its performance, and also criticized Tim Cook because of what they consider to be its failings.

KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo thinks that the next Apple Watch will be more of an “S” style upgrade than a full redesign, and will be sometime this year. Both Kuo and Jones estimate that Apple sold around 10.6 million Apple Watch units in 2015, and that this will fall to 7.5 million in 2016.

Jones also cites a survey from Fluent that indicates that the Apple Watch is actually more popular with users than some industry commentators have been prepared to admit, with respondents showing a particular fondness for using their Apple Watches for shopping and for fitness tracking.

Source: 2nd Generation Apple Watch Could Be Untethered From iPhones

Now THAT bit of new has me thinking of saving up for a watch!! I was actually considering sizing down to an SE because I am outdoors quite a bit and love to put my phone in my pocket. When I ride it's a PIA to carry my phone and have it accessible. This new watch would be perfect if it truly will be untethered!