What's new

new to the forum - and a question

drdann

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined the forum. My wife and I got our iphones a few days ago and have been setting them up. So far so good. One app loaded successfully - but anxious to find out about other apps. My wife is anxious to get a skymap program loaded - our son has Google Skymap on his phone and we are looking for something similar.

AT&T - 2Gb plans for both of us - which leads to a question.

Do we minimize our use of that 2 Gb if we use our home wireless nw vs the 3G nw? Or does it matter?

I am sure there will be more questions as we stumble through this. I look forward tapping into the knowledge here.

Welcome to the forum. 2gb plan is a lot for a month IMO if you have wifi at home. Unless you are going to do youtube, tv news, online radio while on the go.

For surfing only 2gb is sufficient .... But if u Gonna download better switch to wifi when downloading ....:p

If you use your home wifi turn off 3G and you won't use any of your allotted data, also download apps ( especially games) on iTunes first then sync to your phone again to save data usage. If all your doing is surfing though then younshould have no issues with hitting the 2g wall. It's when you stream such as Netflix when you chew up data.

There is an app called Star Walk, from Vito Tech. It costs $2.99 and it is fairly good, but not as user friendly as Google Sky was on my Droid.
I think it is worth the money, as I haven't heard of Google Sky coming for the iPhone, but I am not really in the loop...

Hope that helps,
Toby

Radio and TV while traveling is a concern. But - with more airports and hotels offering wifi, it may be less of an issue knowing that is an option to insure i can stay withing my data.

excellent - thanks for the advice

thanks - any idea (in general) how much of that 2G a typical Netflix movie would use? I assume a similar amount of data would be needed for 2 hours of radio.

Thanks Toby. I will have my wife take a look at Star Walk. If it is like Google Sky, 3 bucks seems like a bargain,

Hi! I am a noob like you and I just got through my first month. I traveled some, and used my data alot to surf the web, Facebook, email etc. I was careful to utilize free wifi whenever possible, and in the end, I did not even come close to using all of my 2G Data.