New Survey Finds That 35 Percent of Consumers Intend to Buy the iPhone 5

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone_5-1.JPG
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PriceGrabber, a part of Experian, published the results of its new survey today about Apple’s forthcoming iPhone 5. The survey found that 35 percent of respondents plan to purchase the iPhone 5 when it is released, most likely, in September. 51 percent of that initial 35 percent said that they would buy an iPhone 5 within the first year of release, 30 percent said they would buy it before the end of 2011, 14 percent said they would purchase the phone within the first month, and 7 percent intended to buy it within the first week. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]PriceGrabber also asked consumers what new features they considered to be most important in their decision to buy the iPhone 5; 59 percent said better battery life, 55 percent said cost reduction, 46 percent said 4G network compatibility, 45 percent said a larger screen, and 42 percent said a better camera. [/FONT]

"Our survey data confirms the strong following Apple has built around its iPhone, with more than one-third of consumers planning to upgrade to the latest model only a little over a year following the release of the iPhone 4," stated Graham Jones, general manager of PriceGrabber. "Anticipation and brand loyalty are certainly high, but in today's 24-7 work culture and uncertain economic environment, consumers are cautious to look for a reasonably priced phone that will perform optimally over an extended time period."
When asked which smartphone operating system they preferred, 48 percent of respondents said Apple iOS, 19 percent said Android OS, 7 percent said Microsoft Windows, and 6 percent said RIM BlackBerry. The consumers were also polled on what smartphone they would prefer to get as a gift, and again the iPhone 5 came out massively on top, with 69 percent of respondents naming it as their choice. Seven percent said Motorola’s Droid Bionic, 4 percent said the Samsung Galaxy S II, and 3 percent said BlackBerry Curve.

Finally, when asked what they generally use their smartphone for, 88 percent of respondents said phone calls, 77 percent said email, 73 percent said texting, 69 percent answered browsing the Internet, 51 percent said searching, and 50 percent cited the Global Positioning System.

[FONT=&quot]The survey was conducted by PriceGrabber from July 1-11, 2011, and included responses from 2,852 U.S. online consumers. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Source: PriceGrabber[/FONT]

Wow, 35%? I believe there are still no official news about the iPhone 5 yet, that's why. If pictures and details are posted already, then that 35% might still have a chance to increase.

heartbeat said:
Wow, 35%? I believe there are still no official news about the iPhone 5 yet, that's why. If pictures and details are posted already, then that 35% might still have a chance to increase.

I can believe there could be that type of demand. Maybe even a little more if the iPhone 5 turns out to be a redesign, or has a bigger screen, 4G LTE. I think it'll def. have the A5 processor and maybe an 8 megapixel camera. I'm not holding my breath for the bigger screen or 4G

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Yes that could work :) But I just hope its size won't be bigger and wider than the iPhone 4. The processor and camera upgrade has already enticed me enough :p

heartbeat said:
Yes that could work :) But I just hope its size won't be bigger and wider than the iPhone 4. The processor and camera upgrade has already enticed me enough :p

Ditto. I like the size of the iPhone 4! I wouldn't want it any bigger either. The processor alone is tempting for me! Though I must resist until the iPhone 6! Lol. :D!

im not going to buy on release... I guess when I extend my verizon contract i'll get it if it's worth it. since i've been left in the dust by verizon with updates i'll see.

iCrank said:
im not going to buy on release... I guess when I extend my verizon contract i'll get it if it's worth it. since i've been left in the dust by verizon with updates i'll see.

Yeah they really have been awful with keeping the CDMA version updated to the latest and greatest.

heartbeat said:

I can believe there could be that type of demand. Maybe even a little more if the iPhone 5 turns out to be a redesign, or has a bigger screen, 4G LTE. I think it'll def. have the A5 processor and maybe an 8 megapixel camera. I'm not holding my breath for the bigger screen or 4G

its a good thing your not holding your breathe for lte.

iCrank said:

Yeah they just redesigned the iPhones shell so I don't see them ditching it this fast for a 4G chip. Plus the current 4G chips are eating batteries alive, and we all know battery life with apple is a big deal. Thank goodness lol.

iCrank said:

Yeah they just redesigned the iPhones shell so I don't see them ditching it this fast for a 4G chip. Plus the current 4G chips are eating batteries alive, and we all know battery life with apple is a big deal. Thank goodness lol.

im not impressed by lte and you're exactly right about the battery life

The 5 isnt going to have the LTE (????) on it so whats the purpose of buying it besides the processor? Im like Icrank, i will wait till the 6 comes out and see if there are any major changes because i love my 4 just the way it is, size and all. Plus they are having issues with the A5 chip over heating and who want that problem.

jbs06civicsi said:
The 5 isnt going to have the LTE (????) on it so whats the purpose of buying it besides the processor? Im like Icrank, i will wait till the 6 comes out and see if there are any major changes because i love my 4 just the way it is, size and all. Plus they are having issues with the A5 chip over heating and who want that problem.

I'm loving my iPhone 4 as well. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle to try and upgrade early. If you have a 3G or a 3GS with an upgrade I can see why :D!

darkstar2007 said:
I'm loving my iPhone 4 as well. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle to try and upgrade early. If you have a 3G or a 3GS with an upgrade I can see why :D!

Or one of the many android devices. Or the infamous blackberry.

iCrank said:
Or one of the many android devices. Or the infamous blackberry.

It'd be more like a complete overhaul vs an upgrade. Especially switching from a blackberry to an iPhone! Lol. :D!

iPhone 4 has one of the best cameras on the market with HDR upgrading that?!? Oh boy! Lol still the best screen rez I myself was a blackberry user for years when ip4 came out that's when my upgrade happened let's just say I'm happy staying with ip4 till iPhone 6 or 7 comes out but by then maybe blackberry will come back with a vengeance! Lol