What's new

New solar power technology

ardchoille

Reaction score
I was just watching a documentary about solar power. There is ground-breaking technology in the solar power arena that allows for creating transparent solar power cells - meaning that the windows of an automobile could be made from solar cells and serve a dual purpose. This vastly enlarges the area of a car on which solar power cells can be utilized. In the past, solar cells have always been dark and opaque, meaning that they couldn't be used on windows or lights because light would not be able to pass thru the solar cell. This new technology could also mean that the entire screen of an iOS device could be used as the screen and also as a source of power for the device. With this new technology, both the front and the back of an iPhone could be covered with solar cells.

We're living in interesting times! :)

They come out with new ideas for solar energy almost every month.
But, the cost per KW is higher than what already exists or it costs too much to manufacture.
It's amazing how much cheaper they are now than they were 10 years ago.

It would be nice to see those transparent cells be used in home windows though.

I hope Tesla's new solar shingles and home storage batteries are as good as they are being promoted.

Solar is a long term investment, there are two break even points - one fiscal and one environmental, I don't see why malls in the arid regions do not cover parking lots with solar panels to protect cars and generate clean power.

Solar is a long term investment, there are two break even points - one fiscal and one environmental, I don't see why malls in the arid regions do not cover parking lots with solar panels to protect cars and generate clean power.[/QUOTE]

It's a good idea. The cost of solar has dropped to 35, 36 cents per KWH which is about what electricity costs in Alaska and Hawaii. But the average cost of electricity in the U.S. is about 12-15 cents per KWH........
It's becoming more competitive but it is still more than the historical use of coal and natural gas.

What I wish they would do is establish national standards for building homes and businesses.... Zero Energy Constructed homes.
These homes are super insulated, have high efficiency appliances/windows and produce as much electricity as they consume. That would be an excellent start to energy efficiency. Homes consume 40 percent of the electricity in the U.S. If all the homes were zero energy then we could reduce our energy consumption by 40 percent........theoretically.

It would only raise the cost of building a new home by 5-8 percent, but a homeowner would save by not having an electric bill every month (in theory). And as you suggested, cleaner air and less dependence on imported oil. Which means fewer reasons for our soldiers to be in the Middle East.

Unfortunately, the special interests that prevent this from happening like the home builders, bankers, utility companies and mortgage lenders have more political influence than you and me.

Things will change though........slowly, but they'll change eventually.

If you look at recent photos of Apple's new Campus 2 headquarters in Cupertino you'll notice that most of the buildings have roofs covered with solar cells, including the parking garages.

I have seen the photos. It looks progressive with the huge circle.
I recall the solar panels on the roof. California has a good climate for that and with the billions in cash reserves that they are sitting on; Apple can afford to buy them.

It's a good idea though. I have seen apartment complexes with solar panels mounted overhead for parked cars and I think there is a parking lot that serves the Dallas Airport that uses them for the same purpose.

They are certainly getting more popular.

Solar is a long term investment, there are two break even points - one fiscal and one environmental, I don't see why malls in the arid regions do not cover parking lots with solar panels to protect cars and generate clean power.

I saw this online today and thought about this post.

The idea is becoming more popular.

It's just a shame that they had to dedicate it on a sunless, miserably cold day.....lol

920x920.jpg

Vermont's new governor sticking with renewable energy goal