What's new

New phone

RudyL90

Reaction score
Since yesterday I had the idea to buy an iPhone 4, but I don't know a thing about these phones.
I want it to be sim lock free. Is that something like jailbreak? Hard to do?
Can any iPhone be unlocked/jailbroken?
Are there two versions like the iPad? (3G and wifi)

And I am still hesitating about the memory size, 16 gb or 32 gb.
Is 16 gb too little or 32 gb too much?

Hope someone can help me out.

16gb is enough if you don't plan on loading movies or mp3s. I have the 16gb flavor and have 10th left. I have 57 apps installed and about 700 pictures I have taken.
As far as unlocking, you will need to jailbreak it which is easy. Just don't upgrade the phones firmware when a new version is released. You need to wait for the new firmware version to be hacked.

The average person does not have 57 apps. I have videos, hundreds of pictures and several hundred songs and come nowhere near maxing out my 16g memory. How many of those 57 apps can anyone use? Save you hundred bucks and just manage your memory.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reactions!
Ok great, I will take the 16 gb than.
On the Apple site I find two versions, AT&T and Verizon, what's the difference?
Or doesn't it matter if you unlock the phone?
Oh and I want a prepaid phone, so do I have to choose for a certain model than?
Once it is unlocked you can put in any simcard from any provider, right?

Thanks for your reactions!
Ok great, I will take the 16 gb than.
On the Apple site I find two versions, AT&T and Verizon, what's the difference?
Or doesn't it matter if you unlock the phone?
Oh and I want a prepaid phone, so do I have to choose for a certain model than?
Once it is unlocked you can put in any simcard from any provider, right?

I'm having the 16gb but i find it not anough of memory as videos i'm making with the phone eating up all my memories. But this doesn't hurt a lot if you know that you will transfere your videos to your computer and free up your phone memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I am now convincted of taking a 16 gb.
But I still don't know anything about the different types. Anybody?

Ok, I am now convincted of taking a 16 gb.
But I still don't know anything about the different types. Anybody?

What do u mean by differeny type? Both devices 16gb and 32gb are all the same, as they both using the same iOS

The average person does not have 57 apps. I have videos, hundreds of pictures and several hundred songs and come nowhere near maxing out my 16g memory. How many of those 57 apps can anyone use? Save you hundred bucks and just manage your memory.

Great advise Giver, I agree ...

bab2010 said:
What do u mean by differeny type? Both devices 16gb and 32gb are all the same, as they both using the same iOS

So it doesn't matter if I get a Verizon or AT&T? There is no difference?
All iPhones have 3G? There is no "only wifi" model?
All iPhones are unlockable, so I can use any provider I want?

If you have a choice buy the unlock phone. I live in US bought my unlock phone from Canada. If the price is not your concern buy the 32 GB phone.

ATT and Verizon use different versions of the iPhone. I believe ATT uses a GSM Phone (sim card). The Verizon phone uses CDMA which while it provides slightly better reception, can only ever be used on Verizon. Also, don't count on being able to unlock it as I understand it's not possible right now with most generations of iPhone 4. Get either an unlocked from the apple store or from the provider you intend to use.

Giver said:
ATT and Verizon use different versions of the iPhone. I believe ATT uses a GSM Phone (sim card). The Verizon phone uses CDMA which while it provides slightly better reception, can only ever be used on Verizon. Also, don't count on being able to unlock it as I understand it's not possible right now with most generations of iPhone 4. Get either an unlocked from the apple store or from the provider you intend to use.

That was the information I was looking for!
Thanks!

GSM CDMA they use differents iOS? If i take iOS 4.1 and running it on GSM, this same iOS 4.1 will not run on CDMA?

It has nothing to do with the iOS. The difference is with the "radio" technology used by the phone, since for all intents and purposes a cell phone is just a two-way radio.

Well. Any iPhone is jailbreakable, right?
So all I now have to look for is a factory unlocked one.