What's new

New Member - iPhone 5C Photo Storage Q&A

ShredNews

Reaction score
Greetings from Guatemala! I'm here for about half a year in a sweet vintage 1965 tourbus, piloting a skill-sharing tour, establishing the foundations of a maker-space network through Guatemala, Mexico, Arizona, California & Nevada.
I am going to start using my old iPhone again.. it was in one of my gear bags and I have had a couple dilemmas while here involving banditos and shady mechanics with our tour bus.. both my newer phone, and my Canon DSLR camera are gone and in need of replacing now. So, for the time being I want to continue photo-journaling and I'll be using my GoPro and my old iPhone 5C.

My iPhone storage capcity is nearly maxed-out, though I have no music or movies, and have cleared out a TON of photo and video storage..

My camera function had stopped a long time ago and I just found on the forums that there's a couple easy fixes to try, it may not be a hardware issue, but rather a software issue... I'm about to walk through the fixes and will find out of the physical functions of my camera are back online.

Here's my 1st forum question :
It's about the photo storage...

How do I access old, seemingly hidden photo storage? (which are apparently still somewhere in the camera data)

(I have previously experienced maxed-out data.. So, I went through and cleaned up the phone.. old fotos and video.. etc)

However, I am a long way past the 30day flush of 'erased photos'... and my data ,management shows that I have photos AND the storage capacity from the photos that are still somewhere in the phone and I can't access these.

* When I open Photos from my homescreen, and select my 'albums'.. there are only a total of 115 photos, and 11 videos.

* When I select Photos instead of Albums(The iPhone 5C calls these 'Moments').. there are well over 500 photos..

(I am guessing that this is not a

* When I enter Settings, then General, then Usage.. I have 'Used' 12.0 GB, and have 'Available' 706MB..

* When I then enter 'Manage Storage' , of all my storage my 'Photos & Camera' function is using up 9.0 Gb of my phone's storage.. the next closest storage file in size is my Messenger storage at 319 MB

* In the 'Photos & Camera' file there, it says 'Photo Library - 9.0 GB'

* In Settings, under General, then 'About'.. under Videos, it lists 32, and under Photos it lists 3,290

* So, according to my 'About' page in my phone's Settings/General tab I am storing well over 2,000 photos somewhere, but don't seem to have a pathway to find them.

Forum folks... Please Help..

Gracias!

Shrednews , SMMC

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

Before we can help, a few questions that'll show us how you're working with your iPhone:
Do you use Photo Stream or iCloud Photo Sharing? Do you use iCloud Photo Library?

If you use Photo Sharing, there's a tab at the bottom of the Photos app, with a cloud, and Shared written below it.

Photo Stream is an album in Albums view. It might be the reason why your Camera Roll shows less images than the Photos tab. If you use Photo Stream, some of your images might still be online somewhere in iCloud.

Update : Ok so I have my camera function back ! :)

J.A. - Thank you ..

I dont believe that I am using either service actually .. I've never signed up for photo streaming, and though I had initially signe dup for iCloud I've never directly interacted with my cloud storage or sent data there...

Will look into it right now, but thats my initial thoughts on your question...

(I am really glad i have my camera function back online! though I would bet it wont be long and I'll have storage issues now that I'm dropping pics in the phone again .. looking forward to what we can figure out. I may have a lot of images that are old and valuable to me.. and of course I'm betting that I have a lot that I dont want anymore and will want to actually dump for good.)

Thx!