What's new

New member from SA

iz1b1zi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My name is Floh and iam currently living in South Africa, although originally iam from Austria.

I recently bought an Iphone 4 from USA through Ebay. The prices for Iphones here in SA are double of what they are on ebay.

The Iphone 4 i bought was classified as "sealed in the box" hence iam assuming it has v4.1 already? That is where my problem comes in.... I read that if it comes with 4.1 already there is no current way of unlocking it?

Ive done some research on the entire unlocking process, but iam still unsure what the safest way is to approach it when i do recieve my IPhone in 3-5 days. Can any of you recommend what i should be doing 1st? (I hope it comes with an older version and not 4.1)

Thanks alot in advance, I will also browse the forum for further answers!

Last edited:
Right so after some reading on the forum, it seems that i will have to just wait and see what version it comes with....If its 4.1, then we will have to wait....

Am i correct in saying that when you plug in your phone and use itunes, it automatically checks for the latest version for your iphone and lets you choose wether you want to upgrade to the latest one or not?(or does it just upgrade automatically)
If you do upgrade all your unlock tools etc will be wiped clean and you will have to do the whole unlocking process again provided there is a tool available for the latest version?

So in theory if you bought a locked phone, you would run the lower version until a proper unlock tool is available for the newer version and then only would you upgrade. Where as if you got a proper Iphone that works with your carrier, you could just update to the latest version without delay....

welcome to the forum Floh!

you your correct you plug into itunes and it detects if there is new firmware, if there is new firmware it will ask if you want to upgrade and you can chose not to, atm 4.1 baseband has no unlock tool, there is a hole and it can be unlocked but no unlock tool will be released until after official 4.2 release in the hope that apple will leave the hole open so that the security hole in 4.1 baseband will work on the 4.2 baseband so some time in november. also if you are on 4.0.2 you can use a method to upgrade with out upgrading baseband and can then unlock 4.1

either way works.. hope that helps