What's new

New iphone user

finnegan5033

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this site, and new to the iphone. My first smart phone was an android, I used it and was quite pleased for the first year. Then it did a software update and started to run very slowly and I had to shut it off and pull the battery out to get it to work right. I had been waiting a long time for sprint to get the iphone so when I saw they were I was very excited. Being that my phone was giving me trouble I bought an iphone 4s with my upgrade. I had two weeks to try it out and still be able to return it if I decided it wasn't for me. So I tried it out, I loved having my itunes right on my phone as I have always had an ipod and this was the main reason that I was interested in the iphone. The screen while small was amazingly clear, it feels good in your hand and is a quality product. All the apps I like to use worked very smooth. Despite all of that I was being told by everyone that worked at sprint stores, and everything I saw on line that the Samsung Galaxy S2 was the best smart phone out there. Since I like to use my netflix app a lot I figured the 4.5" screen would be nice and I was worried about the no 4G capability of the iphone. So I gave in and returned the iphone and got the galaxy. Boy was that a mistake, it worked great for about a week and a half and then it went to crap. All the apps I like to use started freezing up, a few days after that started, the phone would continuously shut off and turn back on by itself. It would even turn off while trying to make a phone call. So I brought it in and they did a hard reset on it, saying that 95% of the time that fixes any problems even though they had never heard of the problems I was having. 30 minutes after I left the store the 2nd phone call I tried to make the phone shut off by itself again. So I went back and they gave me a brand new phone. Needless to say I sold that phone the next day and bought the iphone 4s again. Now I am not what they call an apple fanboy, I do not know a lot about technology, but I do have certain apps I like to use and do a lot of web browsing with my phone. I love siri for searching things and setting reminders, and I love the itunes. I am gettign apple tv for christmas and am pumped about that too. The thing I love the most about the phone so far is that it just works. I don't think you should have to worry that if you do a software update on your phone that it is going to turn into a piece of crap afterwards. Anyways I know that I have rambled on here but wanted to let you folks know why I am now a iphone user.

Out of curiousity though, is anyone else a little confused and nervous about the lack of 4G capability? I don't want to feel like this phone is completely outdated after a few months because of this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yeah I was a diehard android user before I got my iPhone a couple days ago. Androids are just super buggy and always crash. I like how my iPhone is so refined and works. I'm at ease with this phone and don't have to reset it 20 times a day. I remember reading an article about the iPhone 4 when it came out on Verizon with only 3G. It has something to do with a modification to the phone to work on CDMA networks like Verizon and sprint which limits it to 3G. I have sprint with my 4 and the 3G is fine for me.

Hi I am a completely new user of an iphone 4, completely non-technical and from a generation well before computers were thought of. Previously I had, and still have a Nokia 6301 which has served me well for several years - simple to use with commands in a consistent form. Several friends have iphones and taking into account all the hype, I decided to join their ranks. However I find the iphone very frustrating to use. For example for no good reason that I can see on the keyboard I O P is very close to the Send so several times I have sent unfinished or nonsense messages when the spellchecker (which is very useful in the circumstances of a small keyboard) has guessed wrong.
I mostly got the iphone because of the facility to see both sides of messages to one person. I like this facility very much but have accidently deleted a whole series of messages because there is no "are you sure" warning before it all goes and there seem to be several different methods of deletion in different activities which I find confusing and which makes me think it was designed by a committee who did not co-ordinate their methods.
Do any other users find these and other very basic design matters a problem? I think they could easily have been changed at the design stage. Those users I have spoken to admit to these problems but seem to regard all the technical stuff as the main purpose whereas to me these are the most important aspects of the phone

You just have to get used to it. You can turn off spell check and the predict words options in settings. iPhone's are really great phones and I'm sure you will love it just like I do. It takes time to learn how to use it

Turning your phone horizontally when texting makes the keys on the keyboard slightly bigger making it a bit easier.