What's new

New iphone + new computer

Sky2real

Reaction score
We just got a new computer and my dad has a new iphone. He wants me to get his music off the old computer and onto the new one. I'm assuming I also need to bring the iphone sync from the old computer onto the new one. How do I do all of this ? Thanks in advance.

Sky2real said:
We just got a new computer and my dad has a new iphone. He wants me to get his music off the old computer and onto the new one. I'm assuming I also need to bring the iphone sync from the old computer onto the new one. How do I do all of this ? Thanks in advance.

I would go about it this way. To transfer the music to the new computer will depend on how much you have. Up to about 50Gb will be easily handled by thumb drives. They are cheap enough from Staples or similar stores that it's handy to have a couple kicking around. Plug them into USB2.0 for faster transfer.

If you have much more it will probably be more convenient to use an external hard drive. Copy the files to the HDD, then set it to one side.

Next thing to do is download iTunes on the new computer. Once you have done it, you need to authorize it. Can't remember which one, but "authorize this computer" is in one of the menus at the top of the screen in iTunes. this is where you will enter your AppleID.

Now plug in your external HDD or thumb drive and transfer your music to your new computer. Once it's all there, you will want to transfer it to iTunes. Back to the menus and "Add files or folders". Select the folder in which you dumped your music and sit back and wait. iTunes will fill up and then you can sync your phone to the new computer.

If you are getting rid of your old computer, you should unauthorize it as there is a limit to how many computers can be associated with one AppleID.

That's about it. Any questions, give us another shout. Sorry I can't be more specific on iTunes, but I'm nowhere near my computer right now and I'm going from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Thanks KevinJS. I'll try this first thing in the morning. Much appreciated.