What's new

New iOS 9.3 Build Released to Fix Activation Problems for Older Devices

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 5s.PNG

iMore reports that Apple has just released a new build of its iOS 9.3 update after the original version was found to have been causing activation problems on older devices. The new build is 13E236, and is only for older devices, so if you managed to install the initial update on your newer device without any problems, then there’s no need for you to download this update.

Yesterday Apple moved to pause the initial update after some owners of older devices such as the iPhone 5s and earlier and iPad Air and earlier reported that they were having problems activating their phones after they had installed iOS 9.3. The issues emerged when users were required to enter their Apple ID and password that they had initially used to set up their device during the update process. Some users who were unable to remember that original password found that the iPhone or iPad would be inactive unless they could recover or reset their password. The newly released updated version of iOS 9.3 ensures that this process is no longer necessary.

Sources: Apple issues new build of iOS 9.3 for older devices that fixes activation issues

Apple pausing iOS 9.3 updates for older devices, working on activation fix

Aha!! It appears I'm not the only one who complained about this problem - and I have a 5s.

Since I've already done the update using the "Skip it" button do you suppose it could be re-done thereby enabling whatever ICloud functions I lost by using that button?

I activated it by using the "Skip it" button and apparently one of the functions that i sacrificed by doing so was that of being able to password-protect selected notes in the note app.

The directions for use of that feature say that an icon (share, I think) would appear in the upper right corner of the note in question. No such icon appears in any of my notes - old, or newly created.

I suppose I could go into iTunes and find a backup from prior to installing 9.3 and restore to that backup. Then I could reinstall 9.3 with the fix in it and things should be back to normal. Does that sound right?

Of course, the backup I'd be restoring to might be kinda old and could be prior to certain other updates. Might my PC inform me of the lack of those updates, do you suppose?

You can't reinstall 9.3, because it's not signed by Apple for your device, at the moment.
I don't know what will happen when you try restoring your device. It's possible that you get downgraded to 9.2.1, because the software is available for the iPhone 5s.

Before trying to restore, or erase, go to Settings - iCloud, and take a look at the iCloud ID there. Maybe you'll have to sign in, or enter the password. Maybe you'll have to enable Notes there.

If your iCloud ID is visible, tap it and enter your password. Maybe that'll work.

I'm wondering how it was possible to get around iCloud's activation. Many other people were stuck after updating, because of iCloud's activation lock.

Well, when I go to Settings>General>Update it tells me that I have 9.3 installed and that its up to date.

As for the notes, I went to Settings>ICloud and entered my password. I then get a box that says I have to go to Notes and upgrade. Maybe that's where I can get to the password protection thingy. Except that (Duh) I can't seem to find which "Notes" they're talking about.

As long as you don't connect your iPhone to iTunes, and restore it, there'll be no change in the software installed on it.

When you connect it and restore it using iTunes, Apple will make sure that only an iOS signed by them is installed. 9.3 is not signed, that's why I suppose that you'll be downgraded.

Notes is either the Notes app on your iPhone, or Notes in Settings - iCloud (both unlikely), or Notes in your settings.
In Settings - Notes, you'll find "Password". There, you can create a password for your locked notes.

You can't reinstall 9.3, because it's not signed by Apple for your device, at the moment.
I don't know what will happen when you try restoring your device. It's possible that you get downgraded to 9.2.1, because the software is available for the iPhone 5s.

Before trying to restore, or erase, go to Settings - iCloud, and take a look at the iCloud ID there. Maybe you'll have to sign in, or enter the password. Maybe you'll have to enable Notes there.

If your iCloud ID is visible, tap it and enter your password. Maybe that'll work.

I'm wondering how it was possible to get around iCloud's activation. Many other people were stuck after updating, because of iCloud's activation lock.
The people that didn't have any iOS 9.3 update problems were those that were able to input the correct iCloud password when asked. Those who had forgotten their password were stuck at the activation phase.

The people that didn't have any iOS 9.3 update problems were those that were able to input the correct iCloud password when asked. Those who had forgotten their password were stuck at the activation phase.
Bacchus skipped that step, he didn't enter the password for iCloud. That's what's baffling me.

Last edited:
Right. I was stuck at the point where I was asked for my password. I tried a couple from memory that didn't work and got a message box offering me the option of cancelling the update or I could "Skip it".

It warned me that if I chose to skip it, certain iCloud functions wouldn't work. I chose it and the update proceeded minus, I presume, whatever functions I was warned about.

So far, the only function I seem to be missing is the one where I can password-protect selected notes. I don't do much in iCloud (to my knowledge) but the notes thingy would be handy.

Once you connect to iTunes and update to the revised iOS 9.3, you should have access to the locking feature in notes. Here's a screenshot to illustrate the new notes locking feature.
image.jpeg

Many thanks, SciFan, to both you and J.A. for all your help. I'm hoping it'll go as easily as it sounds to update to the revised 9.3, etc.
You're welcome.
When you connect to iTunes you should get a pop up stating that a newer version of iOS is available, tap on update and it should proceed automatically from then on, after agreeing to terms and conditions.

Let us know if locking of Notes works after the update.