What's new

New here with stupid newbie questions!

max384

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had iPods since '05 and iPhones for about 4 years now. I currently have the iPhone 3GS. I also have an iPod video, but I never really use it; it's just collecting dust.

Okay, now for my stupid newbie questions... I am badly in need of an update on my phone, but I haven't done it because I'm worried about losing all my apps. I honestly don't know how to sync without iTunes deciding what goes and what stays. I already lost all of my apps once by syncing and really don't want to do that again. I literally buy all of my apps on my phone. Since last updating or syncing, I've bought several new ones and deleted others off of my phone. The apps on my phone are very different than the ones on my iTunes on the computer. I want to be able to sync my phone with my computer and basically transfer all of my stuff from my phone to my iTunes and delete all of the apps I no longer use from my iTunes. In other words, after syncing, I want my iTunes to have all the apps my iPhone currently has, and I want my iPhone to stay the same, apps and music-wise.

I have also been running into charging problems with my iPhone. If I plug it into a DC outlet on my motorcycle or car, I get the 'charging not supported...' message. However, I have no problems if I use a USB on my computer or plug into the wall. I'm using a DC to USB and then plugging in the power cord to that when I get the message. Other USB devices work just fine in the DC to USB hub... It's only the iPhone that doesn't work, and there are several different car chargers and car DC to USB hubs that I've used. The iPhone will work just fine with them at first, but eventually it quits working altogether with any of them. This problem is honestly making me think about getting rid of Apple completely. I use my iPhone for navigation on motorcycle trips, which eats up the battery very quickly if not charging. The charging problems are just unacceptable when I'm on a long trip.

Lastly... Why in the hell is iTunes so slow on my computer!?!!!!????? Grrrr!

Thanks!

EDIT: If I delete all the apps on my iTunes library (most I don't use any longer and have deleted), will I then be able to to just transfer over all the apps from my iPhone?

Last edited:
If the iTunes is the same iTunes you initially hooked your iPhone up to, then it's a relatively simple matter to make iTunes match the phone.

First, without the phone connected, open iTunes and under Edit > Preferences > Devices, make sure the the box titled something like "don't auto sync iDevices" is checked. Then,

When you connect the phone to iTunes, and after it appears in the left pane, right click on it and select "transfer purchases." Whatever is on the phone will be transferred to iTunes and iTunes will then match the phone. You'll notice that the check marks for apps (in iTunes) will then be only next to the apps that are on the phone.

As for your charger, maybe you just have a bad one? I don't really have a suggestion for that other than to try a different charger. Sorry.

And, for iTunes slowness - is it the latest version of iTunes? I believe the latest version number is 10.1.6. Maybe that's causing it, although iTunes isn't a blazingly fast program anyway, especially for doing transfers, updates or backups.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

Hello all. I've had iPods since '05 and iPhones for about 4 years now. I currently have the iPhone 3GS. I also have an iPod video, but I never really use it; it's just collecting dust.

Okay, now for my stupid newbie questions... I am badly in need of an update on my phone, but I haven't done it because I'm worried about losing all my apps. I honestly don't know how to sync without iTunes deciding what goes and what stays. I already lost all of my apps once by syncing and really don't want to do that again. I literally buy all of my apps on my phone. Since last updating or syncing, I've bought several new ones and deleted others off of my phone. The apps on my phone are very different than the ones on my iTunes on the computer. I want to be able to sync my phone with my computer and basically transfer all of my stuff from my phone to my iTunes and delete all of the apps I no longer use from my iTunes. In other words, after syncing, I want my iTunes to have all the apps my iPhone currently has, and I want my iPhone to stay the same, apps and music-wise.

I have also been running into charging problems with my iPhone. If I plug it into a DC outlet on my motorcycle or car, I get the 'charging not supported...' message. However, I have no problems if I use a USB on my computer or plug into the wall. I'm using a DC to USB and then plugging in the power cord to that when I get the message. Other USB devices work just fine in the DC to USB hub... It's only the iPhone that doesn't work, and there are several different car chargers and car DC to USB hubs that I've used. The iPhone will work just fine with them at first, but eventually it quits working altogether with any of them. This problem is honestly making me think about getting rid of Apple completely. I use my iPhone for navigation on motorcycle trips, which eats up the battery very quickly if not charging. The charging problems are just unacceptable when I'm on a long trip.

Lastly... Why in the hell is iTunes so slow on my computer!?!!!!????? Grrrr!

Thanks!

EDIT: If I delete all the apps on my iTunes library (most I don't use any longer and have deleted), will I then be able to to just transfer over all the apps from my iPhone?
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for Beginners
iPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Forum Rules