What's new

New Feature 3

thehappyman

Reaction score
ITunes automatically makes an IPhone (or IPod or IPad) BACKUP whenever you Sync your device with ITunes, load an OS Update, or choose BACKUP by right clicking the device icon in ITunes and then choosing BACKUP.

Here is What Apple Says -
Quote - " ITunes backs up most of your device's settings and downloaded applications BUT your audio, video, and photo content are not included in the backup"

The New Feature I would like to see added to the ITunes/IPhone/IPod/Ipad environment is an option to create a MIRROR IMAGE backup (or Restore the Mirror Image) of your device from ITunes which would include ALL Settings, ALL Video, Audio, and Photo content in Addition to all the Apps; in other words a complete Mirror image, it would backup and restore ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

RIGHT NOW WE CANNOT DO THIS. I wish Apple would add the Feature to do so. We also, obviously, still need the Syncing function to work as it does, so this "mirror image backup" is not meant to take it's place.

That would not be a very smart thing for apple to do, that's why they did not do it. If you have a massive music collection, you would have to have the space to support a FULL backup. You should be smart enough to back up your music/videos. That's not something apple should be doing for you. The apps are backed up so that you won't have to pay for the app again if you accidently delete it. Then again if you delete the backup, you will have to pay for it again anyway. Also most people probably don't know where the app files are to back them up manually anyway. That's why it's included in the auto backup.

I think you'll find that you won't be asked to pay for an app twice as long you are using the same apple ID

Hey Kaemon

I think You miss my point - what I would like to see is the ability to make a mirror image backup (and restore from that image) if I want to - and right now it can't be done

I would like to see this an additional new feature in ITunes, NOT as a replacement for "syncing"

And in this day of Terabyte disk storage, of course 99% of folks out there would have plenty of space for a FULL iPhone mirror image.

Hey Kaemon

I think You miss my point - what I would like to see is the ability to make a mirror image backup (and restore from that image) if I want to - and right now it can't be done

I would like to see this an additional new feature in ITunes, NOT as a replacement for "syncing"

And in this day of Terabyte disk storage, of course 99% of folks out there would have plenty of space for a FULL iPhone mirror image.

If you backup and sync it is a mirror backup..... Just done it 2 steps... Backup is settings sync is content. Every time I get a new phone or havetoo restore it goes back exactly like it was on my other phone.

Hey Kaemon

If you backup and sync it is a mirror backup..... Just done it 2 steps... Backup is settings sync is content. Every time I get a new phone or havetoo restore it goes back exactly like it was on my other phone.
I think you mean Time Machine for iPhone?

Hey Kaemon

I think you mean Time Machine for iPhone?

Well iTunes is pretty much time machine for iPhone..... But it's called sync&backup.