What's new

Last Compatible App Version

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few days ago I tried to download an app onto my third generation iPod touch. Normally I'd expect to be offered the last compatible version of the app. Apparently this feature no longer exists in the App Store. This also means that if you restore your iPhone or other device from a backup those older apps will not reinstall even if they still work on a device they're currently installed on.

There is also a problem when restoring or setting up an iOS device from an iCloud or iTunes backup. If the app has ben removed from the App Store the app will not be downloaded to your device. The app data will install but not the app itself even if it's a 64 bit app that would run on your device. The app icons will be in a permanent waiting state for a download that will not occur.

Here’s part of a screenshot to illustrate some apps that won’t download.
D45D485D-6CDB-4D3E-B242-D09C7B806F87.jpeg

Here’s a screenshot from iPhone Storage showing the stored data for one of the the apps that won’t download.
A06CC17C-54BD-4A20-8AE5-1512972D774F.png

Last edited:
I found that I had to download the app that I wanted on my old iPod, onto a newer device on the same iCloud, that could download it, and then go to the iCloud on the iPod, and, download it from there, then it would give me the option to download an older version. This worked as of a couple months ago.

I found that I had to download the app that I wanted on my old iPod, onto a newer device on the same iCloud, that could download it, and then go to the iCloud on the iPod, and, download it from there, then it would give me the option to download an older version. This worked as of a couple months ago.
The App Store has been updated since then, with the latest iOS 12.4 public release.

I have all the old versions of my apps, on my computer still in my trash can, from updating. I've been able to put older versions on my iPhones as long as it is the correct version (32/64 bit) for the phone.