What's new

Need help with group text without the contacts being in my Contacts

EvilToe

Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to set up an alerts group for my work for disaster recovery exercises. This is what i am trying to do and any help would be amazing.

I want to be able to send a text to a group of phone numbers that are not in my contact list. I don't care if it's one or multiple texts as i am on unlimited. Say i have about 80 people opted in to receive alert texts and i want the ability to send a text message to this group of people while not having to add each one into my contacts. I tried from Outlook 2010 contacts to create a contact and add in all the phone numbers in the Mobile field. I tried separating them with semicolons, commas, with and without <> but nothing works. Is there a way to do what i am seeking? I've bent my mind on this issue for a few days and i'm out of options. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
So nobody has had this issue? It seems like it should be so easy but there is nothing out there on this.

I am better than 95% sure that you can't do what you have requested using the standard apple applications.

That seems to be what i'm finding. Guess i'll stick with email. Thanks.

Outlook (and 99% of all other contact management applications and apps) will only allow so many phone numbers, email addresses and other information per contact. This has been standard since before Outlook was Outlook (Windows Address Book).

The only way you can do what you want is to set up contacts for each person and add their mobile number to the correct field and then create a distribution group for those people.

Now, if there is an app out there that does this I am personally unaware of it.

Outside the box thinking. I know a lot of cell phone providers now allow you to send a text to a number thru an email address. If you can find a service that allows automatic relaying of a single email to a group (hotmail, gmail, etc), you might be able to text that email account and then have it auto send for you.