What's new

Need help updating iPhone 3GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalvin

Reaction score
Hey,

So I just bought a jailbroken iPhone 3GS, it is on iOS 4.1 (8B117), firmware 06.15.00. It is also unlocked so it works on any network. I would like to update it to iOS 6. Am a newbie to all of this so help is greatly appreciated.

Use RedSn0w to preserve the baseband while restoring using the Restore feature

Use RedSn0w to preserve the baseband while restoring using the Restore feature

Can you give me a step by step of that? And is this completely safe? Cause I'd rather not do it if there's a change of me bricking the phone.

Last edited:
You won't brick your device if you do it properly.

Download the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW here

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-0744.20130215.2E34r/iPhone2,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

Download RedSn0w from the Dev-Team's Blog. (version 0.9.15 beta 3)

Run RedSn0w as an administrator. Go to Extras > Custom IPSW. Point it to the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW that you just downloaded. A message will pop up saying you can use the Restore method instead to preserve your baseband. Select Yes. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

I did everything and then it told me to "Recovery fix" I did that, got into DFU mode then it gave me a missing keys.plist error. Now the phone is stuck at the connect to iTunes screen, recovery mode. What do I do now?

Last edited:
I fixed it by selecting the iOS 6.0 IPSW and running Recovery Fix afterwards. It booted up now and I am at the home screen and everything seems to be working. Running iOS 6.1.2 (10B146) now.

Last edited:
I fixed it by selecting the iOS 6.0 IPSW and running Recovery Fix afterwards. It booted up now and I am at the home screen and everything seems to be working. Running iOS 6.1.2 (10B146) now.
Sorry I'm just now coming along... glad you got things working. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.