What's new

How to update iphone 3gs from ios 5.1.1 to ios 6?

taimur_3

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an iphone user while not having any knowledge about updating etc. My cellphone is jailbroken using redsnow. My modem firmware is 05.13.04

I would like to update my iphone from ios 5.1.1 to ios 6 & be unthethered jailbroken as well. Can anyone help me with it please? A step by step guide would be highly appreciated as I am a newbie

Hello everyone,

I am an iphone user while not having any knowledge about updating etc. My cellphone is jailbroken using redsnow. My modem firmware is 05.13.04

I would like to update my iphone from ios 5.1.1 to ios 6 & be unthethered jailbroken as well. Can anyone help me with it please? A step by step guide would be highly appreciated as I am a newbie

Personally Mate.. I'd Wait for the release of the New jailbreak that being worked on for the 6.1.3 & the 6.1.4.
You have the Same iphone as myself a iphone 3GS & I've got the 6.1.3 Installed, as I was to late, To downgrade to 6.1.2.

So Rather than downgrading to all the way back to the 4.1 Wait a few Hours or days for the untethered Jailbreak to hit the streets..
It's hard waiting, but I'm waiting for it to lol.. not be long OK..

Personally Mate.. I'd Wait for the release of the New jailbreak that being worked on for the 6.1.3 & the 6.1.4.
You have the Same iphone as myself a iphone 3GS & I've got the 6.1.3 Installed, as I was to late, To downgrade to 6.1.2.

So Rather than downgrading to all the way back to the 4.1 Wait a few Hours or days for the untethered Jailbreak to hit the streets..

So if OP has the old bootrom iPhone 3GS, you'd still advise him to stay on iOS 5 when the old bootrom 3GS has an untethered jailbreak on every iOS. Just because it's an iPhone 3GS does not limit it to just the new bootrom.

Oh yes. Totally forgot about the old bootrom feature.
If your model number starts with MB you have the old bootrom. It's the [ B ] that let's you know you have the old & if its MC then [ C ] is telling you have the new version.

You can also tell via the serial number. But it's longer to explain & I've the Dinner to Sort

Thanks

Sent Via Tapatalk via iPhone

Okay :) I'll keep on waiting and regularly checking this forum so to know when the jailbreak is released that would enable me to update and jailbreak my iphone 3gs :)

Oh yes. Totally forgot about the old bootrom feature.
If your model number starts with MB you have the old bootrom. It's the [ B ] that let's you know you have the old & if its MC then [ C ] is telling you have the new version.

You can also tell via the serial number. But it's longer to explain & I've the Dinner to Sort

Thanks

Sent Via Tapatalk via iPhone

My model number starts with MC meaning the new version
My serial number's 3rd,4th,5th digits are **006******

The MC 3GS (new bootrom) only has a tethered jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3. However, if you have iOS 6.0-6.1.2 blobs saved for your device, you can restore selectively to that the iOS that you have blobs for.

The MC 3GS (new bootrom) only has a tethered jailbreak on iOS 6.1.3. However, if you have iOS 6.0-6.1.2 blobs saved for your device, you can restore selectively to that the iOS that you have blobs for.

Um so do you mean to say that an untethered jailbreak is available for iphone 3gs ios 6.0-6.1.2?(I want to reconfirm). If yes, then can you please help me out with updating my iphone 3gs to this ios and also jailbreak it?

There is an untethered jailbreak for 6.0 to 6.1.2 on the new bootrom 3GS that you have. You can only restore to 6.0-6.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for your device saved. If you do not, then you can only restore to 6.1.3 or 4.1

There is an untethered jailbreak for 6.0 to 6.1.2 on the new bootrom 3GS that you have. You can only restore to 6.0-6.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for your device saved. If you do not, then you can only restore to 6.1.3 or 4.1

Thank you for your reply :)
I want to ask one thing here. How am I going to know whether I have SHSH blobs for my device saved? Can you please guide whenever possible?

Check Cydia and see if you have blobs available. Open up Cydia, on the main/featured page, scroll down to TSS Center, and see what iOS are listed on the top. If you have iOS 6.0, 6.1, 6.1.2 listed, you can upgrade to those and retain an untethered jailbreak. If not, your only option is to upgrade to 6.1.3, and wait for an untethered jailbreak that will arrive relatively soon thanks to @iH8Sn0w and @winocm.

Check Cydia and see if you have blobs available. Open up Cydia, on the main/featured page, scroll down to TSS Center, and see what iOS are listed on the top. If you have iOS 6.0, 6.1, 6.1.2 listed, you can upgrade to those and retain an untethered jailbreak. If not, your only option is to upgrade to 6.1.3, and wait for an untethered jailbreak that will arrive relatively soon thanks to @iH8Sn0w and @winocm.

Thank you for telling :) While following your directions, the listed iOS written there were: 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3, 5.1.1
However, there were two tabs below it.
1. "Where is my iOS 6.0-6.1.2?"
2. The second one was something like Request for 6.1.3(I can't remember properly) But after clicking that, 6.1.3 was added to the above list and now the listed iOS written are : 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3, 5.1.1, 6.1.3

You cannot restore to iOS 6.0-6.1.2. Your only options of re-restoring are those that you've listed above.

You cannot restore to iOS 6.0-6.1.2. Your only options of re-restoring are those that you've listed above.

It means I can update and jailbreak my iphone 3gs to iOS 6.1.3 (It feels good to know). But it would be a thethered jailbreak right?(as I am having MC boot rom)

No. MB is the old bootrom. MC is the new bootrom. The new bootrom is tethered/semi-tethered