What's new

Need Help Restoring to 4.1

neomac3444

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a problem and cant use my phone now.

I had to do a hard reset (the erase all content and settings) on the phone with it still on and it never came back. So I put it into DFU mode and did a restore from a previous 4.1 ios that i had saved (i also had it on 4.1 when i did the initial reset). Now when it goes to verify with apple it pops up an error 3194 saying it cant verify with apple. I did some googling and they told me to edit my host file and I did but it still gives me the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated but i need it to stay at 4.1 ios and not go up to current.

When you edit the hosts file, you MUST restart iTunes. It should then refer to the server listed in the hosts file and work alright. I had this same problem before. You also need to restart it after you remove the entry from the hosts afterwards.

You won't be able to restore to 4.1 now that 4.2.1 is out unless you've saved you SHSH's via cydia or tinyumbrella. That's why its failing to verify the restore with apple...

So i tried the restarting of Itunes and nada.

Gaz6076 is there anyway of tricking apple to think it is still ok to restore at 4.1 or am i lost all together. My SHSH's were deleted when my computer died a couple of weeks ago and I reinstalled windows over everything. Now can i use SHSH's from another iphone 4 with the 4.1 on it? I have 2 Iphones and both just happen to be 4's running 4.1.

You need SHSH's to be able to restore to an earlier firmware. All SHSH's are unique to each device so you can't use another set...

Ok 4.1 is a no go I cant get it to work now how about if I upgrade to 4.2.1? When I do the restore to this it says "Iphone could not be restored. Unknown error (10)".

How do i get it to restore to 4.2.1? I have tried doing the host file and no luck i have tried normal and restarting the damn computer nada.

Any help? Please.....

Try installing iTunes on another user account on your computer...

Ok so just so you guys know how i resolved the issue of getting it to restore to 4.2.1. I had error code 10. The one of few that are not listed on apples website. I had to call apple and make them wave the 30 dollar call fee because I had already done all of their "guided" steps with no results. After 45mins on the phone with one tech he finally put me through to his lead tech. He immediately says that its a usb issue and recommends that i try a different ipod/iphone cable. And magically it works.

So from what i got from him is that error code 9 or 10 means that its a usb issue so change usb ports and cable and maybe you will have some luck.

Hope this helps some of you guys.