What's new

Need help choosing the right storage on iphone 5

MsNiikkii87

Reaction score
Hi everyone Ima be purchasing my factory unlocked iphone 5 soon but I dont know if I should get the 16gb or 32gb I dont really stpre alot of pics on my phone maybe 100 pics, music hmmm like 200 and apps maybe 150 is that enough for 16 gb? Oh yea who ever that have a iphone 5 16gb do you mind sharing how many apps, music, and pics you have on your phone and how much memory you have left...

Hi everyone Ima be purchasing my factory unlocked iphone 5 soon but I dont know if I should get the 16gb or 32gb I dont really stpre alot of pics on my phone maybe 100 pics, music hmmm like 200 and apps maybe 150 is that enough for 16 gb? Oh yea who ever that have a iphone 5 16gb do you mind sharing how many apps, music, and pics you have on your phone and how much memory you have left...

200 pics wouldn't be an issue for an iPhone 5 16GB.
I've had 800 something pics and short videos on my iPhone 4 16GB. Although, I only had 30 something apps. I also had 500 songs on my iPhone.
I had 4.7 GB remaining with all of these things.
The thing that concerns me, is the 150 apps. If its absolutely necessary you have the 150 apps, then you may need a 32GB. Although, if you can cut the apps down to 30 to 40, a 16GB should work fine. I had 100 something apps on my 32 GB iPhone 5 and found I only used 10 of them. Lol.

So really, I believe it's all up to whether you need all those apps installed or not.
Especially if 10 to 20 are large games.

If the 150 apps are necessary, go with a 32GB, if you can live with 30 to 40, then a 16GB should be plenty!

Hope this helps.

200 pics wouldn't be an issue for an iPhone 5 16GB.
I've had 800 something pics and short videos on my iPhone 4 16GB. Although, I only had 30 something apps. I also had 500 songs on my iPhone.
I had 4.7 GB remaining with all of these things.
The thing that concerns me, is the 150 apps. If its absolutely necessary you have the 150 apps, then you may need a 32GB. Although, if you can cut the apps down to 30 to 40, a 16GB should work fine. I had 100 something apps on my 32 GB iPhone 5 and found I only used 10 of them. Lol.

So really, I believe it's all up to whether you need all those apps installed or not.
Especially if 10 to 20 are large games.

If the 150 apps are necessary, go with a 32GB, if you can live with 30 to 40, then a 16GB should be plenty!

Hope this helps.

Thanks :) lol I was trippin about the 150 apps I dont even have that many apps on my current phone 30-40 apps would be right.. I think Ima go with the 16gb iphone.. Thanks again for helping me make my decision :)

Own an iPhone 5 with 32GB. Only 28GB is available for the user. Of that only 3.8GB is free on mine.

PhotoStream (1000 pics) = .904 GB
Camera Roll (1082 pics/movies) = 5.2 GB
Albums (~1200 pics/movies) = .916 GB

So 7 GB in just pictures. This is primarily due to the iPhone 5/4S high quality pictures and movies I have stored.

Apps installed 217 = 17.3 GB. And not all of my apps have been updated by the developers to the full Retina specification for graphics. As the developers continue to play catch up, even if I don't add a single app, the space being used will continue to grow over the next two years.

Only have one piece of advice when it comes to buying an Apple device with no expandable RAM.

Never pick an iPhone's memory based on "what you think you might store". Pick the largest memory you can afford. Always. If you don't, you will regret the choice you make within one year. My iPad 3 32GB is where I learned my lesson. Should have gotten a 64GB and could have easily afforded it. My next iPad will be the 5 with 128GB the day it becomes available.

^ I agree with the above post. I have a 16gb iPhone 5 and I wish is would have forked out the extra 100 for double the space. I have used half the storage space so far but most of that is from jail breaking and downloading themes and tweaks. Lol. If it was me I'd go for the 32.

Own an iPhone 5 with 32GB. Only 28GB is available for the user. Of that only 3.8GB is free on mine.

PhotoStream (1000 pics) = .904 GB
Camera Roll (1082 pics/movies) = 5.2 GB
Albums (~1200 pics/movies) = .916 GB

So 7 GB in just pictures. This is primarily due to the iPhone 5/4S high quality pictures and movies I have stored.

Apps installed 217 = 17.3 GB. And not all of my apps have been updated by the developers to the full Retina specification for graphics. As the developers continue to play catch up, even if I don't add a single app, the space being used will continue to grow over the next two years.

Only have one piece of advice when it comes to buying an Apple device with no expandable RAM.

Never pick an iPhone's memory based on "what you think you might store". Pick the largest memory you can afford. Always. If you don't, you will regret the choice you make within one year. My iPad 3 32GB is where I learned my lesson. Should have gotten a 64GB and could have easily afforded it. My next iPad will be the 5 with 128GB the day it becomes available.

Thanks... since you said that I might just purchase the 32gb but I dont think I really need that much....

If nothing else convinces you, there is one last consideration. It will have a higher resale value.

I bought an iphone5 16Gb. And I also have the Seagate Wireless Plus. It is as if I have an iPhone5 1Tb plus at hand. Neat.

Thanks... since you said that I might just purchase the 32gb but I dont think I really need that much....

Whatever storage you think you need, double it, you'll be surprised at how fast your storage fills up. It's recommended that you choose the largest storage capacity you can afford.

I would definitely go with the 32 GB, you can never have to much space. I have the 64 GB IPhone 5.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

My next iPhone will be a 32 GB version. I have found that I love apps and the 16 GB just doesn't cut it for me now. However, at the time, I thought that's all I needed! Oh well...didn't know!