What's new

My iPhone is sizzling :(

Poisonivy said:
I,ll second what darkstar said,this is a friendly forum,lets keep it that way.

Exactly.

OP, if you try Skull One's recommendation, please let us know.
We'd like to hear if you get your device back to normal or not. :)
We're here for any help you may need!

Compressed air?

Thats how I dried my wifes iphone4 out when it got moisture in it (first day out camping, the speaker stopped working - didnt work the whole 3 days we were out there, We got back home and I read it was yet another common moisture problem and compressed air was a suggestion which worked for me)

I used a mechanics style air compressor air gun straight up the bottom of the iphone but not too close (high pressure air) but you can buy proper compressed air in a "fly spray style" can from most computer shops/electronic stores which is probably a better idea to be honest, "mechanics style" air compressors might lightly spray moisture and oil vapour themselves if a trap isnt installed on them

Good luck :)

Edit - Lol "skull one" nailed my exact symptoms, the volume control did come back up when headphones were installed but unplugging them again made the volume go immediatly to 0. Blowing air from underneath was where i hit it so a definate +1 from me on that advice lol (5 second airspray and it hasnt played up since - I have ordered a couple cheap watertight covers from ebay for next time we go camping though lol)

Last edited:
Compressed air can be "dangerous" on occasion. Remember, the unit you are blowing into only has a few areas for the air to escape. And all of those areas have some kind of mechanical or electrical connection at them. If the moisture becomes trapped deep enough into the device it could take well over a week before it will evaporate. The amount of damage it can do in that time, thru oxidation, can be severe.

Rice is basically the poor man's silica gel packets but it is still to this day one of the most effective treatments for moisture when all else seems to fail.

hehhee yep I probably blew the moisture further in - Seemed to fix the sound issue though and 3months later its all still firing without a re-occurance (perhaps it evaported from furher inside, or perhaps its currently rusting away hahah)

1st day camping at Barrington Tops (rainforest) my wifes iphone4 stopped working - my iphone4 was fine though. Wouldnt of thought the iphone would of needed protection just from high humidity found in rainforests but perhaps this info might help other campers (go get a waterproof cover for camping lols)

Im betting you could get dozens of free silica bags from local computer shops - lots of computer parts ship with a couple inside the anti static bags these days as standard and they just get chucked I bet

Hey thanks a lot for the kind advice everyone! After letting it dry for a few days the sound controls are finally working again! :) It still gives the "charging accessory not supported" error once in a while but that's okay :) In the meantime I ended up buying a new iphone lol. I guess I can sell this one

supergrape said:
Hey thanks a lot for the kind advice everyone! After letting it dry for a few days the sound controls are finally working again! :) It still gives the "charging accessory not supported" error once in a while but that's okay :) In the meantime I ended up buying a new iphone lol. I guess I can sell this one

Did u get the 4s?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Haha yeah the potential buyer knows about the problems! :) I wouldn't cheat anyone into buying it lol that would be mean of me :p I think he uses them for the parts anways to fix other iphones

And yep I got the 4s and have been enjoying it! Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited:
supergrape said:
Haha yeah the potential buyer knows about the problems! :) I wouldn't cheat anyone into buying it lol that would be mean of me :p I think he uses them for the parts anways to fix other iphones

And yep I got the 4s and have been enjoying it! Thanks for the help guys!

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net