What's new

My apps won't open ???

valleyboy22

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got the 4s with latest os on and tonight after backing my phone up via i tunes my apps won't open up?? Anyone had same problem or can help please.

Thanks all

You did not restore your iPhone 4S from a backup from iOS 4 did you?

That alone can cause an array of problems.

Note: maybe we discussed this earlier... I don't know. But, so what if he did. Would not iTunes post a warning that this restoration may not work? And why wouldn't it? Is this a known problem with iTunes/Apple, and if so, why isn't it caveated within iTunes?

Apologies if I babbled to you before about this.....

zig9449 said:

This is good to know.. I could see how that could cause some problems.

Last edited:
EWyatt said:
Note: maybe we discussed this earlier... I don't know. But, so what if he did. Would not iTunes post a warning that this restoration may not work? And why wouldn't it? Is this a known problem with iTunes/Apple, and if so, why isn't it caveated within iTunes?

Apologies if I babbled to you before about this.....

No you have not asked me about this.

No iTunes post no warning. It is suppose to work. But so are a lot of things in iTunes that simply don't work properly.

Have had fix friends iPhones before (never found out the exact problem) in which the only way to get the phones working properly again, was to setup as new after restore....multiple times they restored from an iOS 4 backup and certain problems arised. No specific problems. Stupid little stuff, syncing problems...and one case where more ten a few apps would crash.

After screwing around with the 2 phones I concluded that every time they restored from a backup from iOS 4, they would find a problem, and they would beg me to fix for them.

After convincing them to restore and setup as new(which none of them wanted to do) there was no problems at all. phones worked fine, synced fine, no apps crashing...no lagginess, and no missing stock icons or preferences.

I'm not saying if you restore to iOS 5 from an iOS 4 backup that it "will" cause problems....I am saying that you have a higher chance of having problems when restoring to iOS 5 from an iOS 4 backup.

From my personal experience......it is a better idea to start on a new iOS fresh (not new iOS, but a new iOS genre). Especially one with such Changes that iOS 5 has.

Why wouldn't iTunes post a warning: that's easy...because Apple expects there it be no problems (as usual). And perhaps depending on what your iOS 4 backup actually contains, it could work just fine....and quite the opposite. My guess is that it depends on what your iOS 4 backup contains. the more data you have the higher the chances for problems. The less data in the backup, the less chances for problems.

Is this a known problem?:

That depends on what you consider known...I have helped people on forums simply by telling then to not use there iOS 4 backup...only to find out it actually helped them. I have no idea if it is a "known problem". I just know it has gotten users out of jams with there iDevice. That is all I know.
To me, in my honest opinion.....this is a "known issue".

Why wouldn't it be caveated with iTunes?:
You already asked this question when you asked if iTunes should show a warning. Same question....different words.

I have no idea.

iTunes has a lot of actual "known issues" that are not forewarned at all.

They do not warn you that transferring purchases can mix up all your album art. They do not warn you that when you sync apps...that some apps just won't sync to your device for almost no apparent reason. They do not warn you saying that some of your music may gray out and not be able to sync to anything at all, even tho you can play them fine in iTunes. Those are just a few "know issues" I an think of that iTunes does not warn you about at all.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Cheers for the replies so far. Only plugged my phone in and it automatically back my phone up. It's running on 5.1 and all apps on there and space shows on my phone they are there? I restarted my phone a few times but the apps just flicker when press them??

Reply to Zig9449....
Thanks a million, Zig... for the excellent remarks. Much more than I expected or deserved! Your remarks are indicative why I'm still at version 4.1 iOS on my iP4. Some day just before my 2 year contract with ATT is up, and just before my new iP5, I'll do the iOS 5.XX update, and if all works well, I may keep it in lieu of the iP5. But until then, I'm sticking with my super-stable 4.1.
Again, thanks!

EWyatt said:
Reply to Zig9449....
Thanks a million, Zig... for the excellent remarks. Much more than I expected or deserved! Your remarks are indicative why I'm still at version 4.1 iOS on my iP4. Some day just before my 2 year contract with ATT is up, and just before my new iP5, I'll do the iOS 5.XX update, and if all works well, I may keep it in lieu of the iP5. But until then, I'm sticking with my super-stable 4.1.
Again, thanks!

Thank you. IMO, I think it would be in your best interest to update to iOS 5 now. Get use to it ya know?..then when you get the iPhone 5...it won't seem so extremely different ya know?

I never wanted to update to iOS 5 and I didn't for a while after it was released.

Then one day I had to get my phone replaced and it came with iOS 4.2.8. Which is a an untethered jailbreak.

Even tho iOS 5 was all the rage, and everyone said how much they loved it, i did not update to iOS 5 for one reason and one reason only....not all of my preferred tweaks were compatible with ios 5.

The tethered jailbreak did not bother...and never has.

Tethered jailbreak are far more stable then any untethered jailbreak for obvious reasons.

The only reason I am on 5.0.1 and not on 5.1 is because a couple tweaks of mine news updated, and I really hate the new lock screen.lol. Well, I love the new lock screen actually....just wish it only showed the camera icon with a double press of the home button.

I do think it is rather silly to stay on such an extremely outdated iOS tho.

It is alway best to stay relatively updated with iOS software, even for jailbreakers.

I found the main reason people stayed on older iOS version is because of jailbreakme.

Which to me is just silly.....the jailbreak is still the same...you still have to DFU restore. There nothing better about jailbreakme except for it convenience.

Redsn0w has always provided a more stable jailbreak then any userland exploit through Safari...simply because of the "physical" bootrom exploit.

But that is just my opinion on staying on an old iOS. Take it with a grain of salt. :p.