What's new

MP3 to M4R Converter

dieselpowered

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is utilizing a MP3 to M4R converter to make ringtones, and if so, which one do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

iTunes ;)

Convert the song clip to AAC. Find the converted song, it will have the extension .m4a. Simply change it to m4r then add it to your iTunes library...

Thanks for the response, that is what I ended up doing. Thought it would take more time than it actually does, so I will stick with that method. Thanks again.

iTunes ;)

Convert the song clip to AAC. Find the converted song, it will have the extension .m4a. Simply change it to m4r then add it to your iTunes library...

Change it to m4r how?

basically make sure you have all files set to show extensions and simply rename the file from .m4a to .m4r and itunes and your iphone will recognise it as a ringtone as long as its under 30 seconds. unless your jailbroken then you can upload via ssh and have it as long as you want

As much as I love Win7 it does piss me off sometimes. I had to dig to find where I could unclick hide known extensions. When I finally found it and changed them it was like magic!

Thanks for replying even tho I asked in an old thread.

Edited to add:

Only one of the songs is showing on my iPhone. I can see them all on iTunes but not the phone.

Last edited:
ok. i should of explained how to but i was not sure if you where windows or mac

well you figured it out now so it does not matter now ;p

i could of told you in a second though hw to do it its very easy. when i used to use windows one of the first things i would do when installing windows or getting a new pc is making it show file extensions on all files

I guess you didn't see the edit. Only one of the files are showing on my phone even tho they are all showing in both places on iTunes.

Last edited:
This seems to be quite a common problem although I've never experienced it myself. If you remove the one that does sync does the second one go on?

Make sure you've got the sync all ringones box checked under the ringtones tab in iTunes...

Just when I think I've figured it out, I haven't. First I noticed that it had an error thingy next to each one which said I needed to find the original file. So I did that and that didn't work. I had it on all ring tones but did the only the checked ones and then checked them all. Still nothing. This is very discouraging.

Just when I think I've figured it out, I haven't. First I noticed that it had an error thingy next to each one which said I needed to find the original file. So I did that and that didn't work. I had it on all ring tones but did the only the checked ones and then checked them all. Still nothing. This is very discouraging.

if you have done it right it should load as many ringtones as you want..

1. Select the song in itunes

2. using an audio editor of your choice trim the song down the 30 seconds, or 25 even just to be safe.

3. right click and convert to AAC

4. make sure file extensions are showing (folder options, second tab)

5. change the filename from .m4a to .m4r

6. load into the itunes ringtone library

7. plug in your device and load them into the ringtone tab on your device and it should all sync

my guess is that its too long or it does not like the file because when it shows up twice in itunes maybe you changed the wrong file to .m4r..

if you need help i can do it for you

2. using an audio editor of your choice trim the song down the 30 seconds, or 25 even just to be safe.

7. plug in your device and load them into the ringtone tab on your device and it should all sync

my guess is that its too long or it does not like the file because when it shows up twice in itunes maybe you changed the wrong file to .m4r..

1 - 6 Done

7. I've done this several times. They show up in the library on iTunes but not on the phone. Just the one.

The longest one is 39 seconds, which I've seen is acceptable. The shortest 17 seconds. The one that is showing is 33 seconds. I had all the ringtones in one folder by them selves so there was no chance that I changed the wrong ones.

What has me puzzled is that they are showing on the phone ringtone folder but not on the phone. I'm going to try one more thing and if it works, I'll share. ;)

1 - 6 Done

7. I've done this several times. They show up in the library on iTunes but not on the phone. Just the one.

The longest one is 39 seconds, which I've seen is acceptable. The shortest 17 seconds. The one that is showing is 33 seconds. I had all the ringtones in one folder by them selves so there was no chance that I changed the wrong ones.

What has me puzzled is that they are showing on the phone ringtone folder but not on the phone. I'm going to try one more thing and if it works, I'll share. ;)

no wonder they are not loading.. not even half a second over 30 is acceptable...