What's new

MP3 and/or AAC Music Files on my iPhone?

5er driver

Reaction score
I just got my iPhone 4 on Saturday and was in a hurry to put some music on it and dragged a good 3 GB on. Halfway thru picking MP3s off my PC, I discovered in the iTunes “preferences” that there is an option to cut high bit rate MP3s down to 128 bit rate AACs as they go onto the iPhone. I checked that option to convert the rest of my files. If that option is not checked and you drag MP3s to iTunes and then onto the iPhone, are they automatically converted to AAC or do they stay in MP3 format? If they stay as MP3s, then at the moment I have about 2 GB of 192~320 bit rate MP3s in addition to 1 GB of 128 bit AACs on the iPhone. I’d like to save disk space by having only 128 bit rate AACs on the iPhone. So I suppose I’ll have to delete the MP3s off the iPhone and let iTunes convert the first half of my library to 128 bit rate AAC files as I drag them onto the iPhone. When MP3s or AACs are deleted, are they really gone off the drive? The manual says that when you delete apps, only the icon is deleted, the app stays on the drive.

Thanks.

I just got my iPhone 4 on Saturday and was in a hurry to put some music on it and dragged a good 3 GB on. Halfway thru picking MP3s off my PC, I discovered in the iTunes “preferences” that there is an option to cut high bit rate MP3s down to 128 bit rate AACs as they go onto the iPhone. I checked that option to convert the rest of my files. If that option is not checked and you drag MP3s to iTunes and then onto the iPhone, are they automatically converted to AAC or do they stay in MP3 format? If they stay as MP3s, then at the moment I have about 2 GB of 192~320 bit rate MP3s in addition to 1 GB of 128 bit AACs on the iPhone. I’d like to save disk space by having only 128 bit rate AACs on the iPhone. So I suppose I’ll have to delete the MP3s off the iPhone and let iTunes convert the first half of my library to 128 bit rate AAC files as I drag them onto the iPhone. When MP3s or AACs are deleted, are they really gone off the drive? The manual says that when you delete apps, only the icon is deleted, the app stays on the drive.

Thanks.

If i'm not mistaken, when you delete your music(or anything else in iTunes) it'll give you an option if you want to keep it in the folder you keep it at (User/music/iTunes for example), or send it to the "recycle bin." If you send it to the recycle bin, it'll permanently delete it.

Once you do all your changes and sync your phone again, it'll remove the items you didn't want on your phone ~ resulting in more space on your phone.

Thanks. When you drag MP3s to the iPhone, does iTunes convert them to AAC even if you don't check the option to convert to 128 bit rate AAC?

Yup. Regardless of checking or unchecking the box. If you want to save space on yr phone I'd check it, especially If you have a lot of songs with a higher bit rate.

Thanks. I deleted the 3 GB of mixed bit rate sizes from the phone and put the same songs back on but all converted to 128 bit rate AAC. I saved about 1 GB of space. Most of the songs were 320 bit rate MP3s.

Thanks. I deleted the 3 GB of mixed bit rate sizes from the phone and put the same songs back on but all converted to 128 bit rate AAC. I saved about 1 GB of space. Most of the songs were 320 bit rate MP3s.

Yup, no worries. It's all good ;)