What's new

Moving iTunes to another computer

DaveM

Reaction score
I need to move an iTunes account to another computer. Not only that, but from Win 7-64 to XP if it makes any difference. I want to move everything so that the iPhone can be plugged into the XP machine and everything will work exactly like it did on the Win 7 machine and nothing will be lost. I don't need it to work on the Win 7 machine anymore. I've searched for information on this and am astounded at how difficult it seems to be. I have an 8 page printout on the process, but I'm thinking that surely there's an easier way. I'd appreciate any help on the proper way to accomplish this.

All you need to do is setup library sharing between the computers and transfer everything.

Thanks, but that link is for sharing music between different accounts on the same computer. Not what I'm trying to do at all. In essence, I want to abandon/delete iTunes on the first computer and have everything moved to the second computer to work as it used to on the first.

Last edited:
DaveM said:
Thanks, but that link is for sharing music between different accounts on the same computer. Not what I'm trying to do at all. In essence, I want to abandon/delete iTunes on the first computer and have everything moved to the second computer to work as it used to on the first.

Yeah once you transfer everything you can delete the iTunes off the first computer

Yeah once you transfer everything you can delete the iTunes off the first computer

These computers are not on the same network. This article only mentions music. What am I missing? Something's not making sense to me.

They don't have to be on the same network and you can transfer everything in iTunes over.

Just download iTunes to the new computer. Then tell iTunes that the new computer is your "main" iTunes computer. Everything from your iPhone should now "sync" to your new iTunes computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Just download iTunes to the new computer. Then tell iTunes that the new computer is your "main" iTunes computer. Everything from your iPhone should now "sync" to your new iTunes computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

So what exactly do I do to tell iTunes to do that Bill?

Dave,
Start iTunes on your new computer, and click "Store" on the menu bar, then click "Authorize This Computer." Then, when you sync to your iPhone, it should allow you to copy any purchased content on your iPhone to the new computer.

Let us know how it goes.

MrBill