What's new

Deauthorize a computer (hard drive) no longer accessible (I think)

xrayeyes

Reaction score
I changed out the hard drive on my laptop and also did a clean install of Win 7 OS. I forgot to deauthorize my computer on iTunes before I switched it all out. Any way to do it now? I will be encasing the old hard drive to use as an external, but not sure how the files work dealing with iTunes? I upgraded from XP to Win 7 and installed a SSD. Works great, but finding little things I forgot to save. UGH!

It's not the end of the world...I now have 3 authorized out of 5. Still have 2 left. But, would like to get that one back if I could.

Open up iTunes and head to the Store tab on top -> View My Account -> Sign In -> Computer Authorization.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

How will that help to deauthorize the iTunes account on my old hard drive, which is no longer installed?

When you authorize a computer, it's not on the computer, it's through iTunes, meaning it's stored on Apples. If you were to deauthorize all PCs, then use the old hard drive again, it won't work til you authorize.

Hello! Lol! Forgot about my phone being the third device. Was having a "duh" moment trying to figure out how I had three devices authorized with only two PCs. Got it! Tnx!