What's new

Moving data from messed-up 3G to OOB 4S

arglebargle

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a question about upgrading from my 3G to my new 4S. Here are the details:

My current phone is a 3G, and my new is a 4S. I want to move my data from the old to the new: contacts, notes, pictures (some), bookmarks. I don't care so much about SMS history, and I can re enter some prefs and settings without crying. Sounds simple, right? Just use a current backup from Old when setting up New, right? But read on:

My 3G is pretty jacked up; if I am inside of any structure I can barely get wi-fi or phone/data reception. The phone is a refurb, bought Fall 2009, and I didn't have this reception issue until around this Spring, so for 1.5 years there was no problem. I have dropped it a few times but it is always in a case and I take good care of it (although it gets a lot of use). I've looked at old forums and apparently there were complaints about the 3G antennae back when it came out that are similar to the complaints about the 4 when it came out. But I digress...

I also jailbroke the 3G. I kept it jailbroken until this spring, when the reception got really bad. I also thought the phone was running slower and slower with time. I compared it to my wife's un-jailbroken refurb 3G purchased at the same time and confirmed that her reception was fine and she had no reception issues. So I suspected the jailbreak and various tweak and hacky apps I'd put on it had created some sort of conflict. I wiped the phone and restored from a backup. This seemed to speed things up, but didn't fix reception. I tried various other things like cleaning out my camera roll, but although the phone got faster nothing fixed the reception. The only thing I haven't tried is restoring the phone and setting it up as New just to see if there is something evil being carried through by restored backups.

Here's more about that reception: usually if I reboot the phone, it will find a signal again indoors, but it may last only a few minutes.

So my suspicion is that this is a hardware issue but since I am not sure, I don't want to use any backup from the old phone on the new one.

Seems to me the best way to proceed to setup the 4S "clean" but still retain as much data as possible is this:
  1. backup old phone
  2. activate new phone
  3. backup new phone to capture "out of box" state and archive this backup somewhere
  4. setup new phone as "New" in iTunes
  5. sync items manually rather than restore: apps, contacts, notes...whatever I can get.
Does this sound correct? Did I overlook a step or something that ain't gonna work?

Once I'm done with this I plan to wipe the 3G, set it up as New and then see for sure if this is a hardware or software problem.

Thank you for reading, and muchos gracias for any replies.

-Chris