What's new

Mobile Internet vs. PC Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron

Reaction score
I have gotten into debates about this. Many iPad and iPhone users keep telling me that the mobile internet they get on their handset is exactly the same as the internet you see on a PC or an iMac. I do not agree. When I tried to log-into my Facebook account on my iPhone, I was told that I had no account and must sign-up yet I have a Facebook account on my PC. Another example is the Internet Movie Database. On a PC/iMac, when you access a movie, you also can download the trailer for that movie. However, when using the iPhone, there are no options shown for seeing a trailer; just still photos from the film. I have found numerous other sites that offer less on the mobile internet. Am I mistaken or is the mobile internet a watered-down version?

Well you can get full internet websites on your smartphones. The problem is the speed. On a pc, laptop webpages will load in a blink of an eye. Where as on your phone. . .well it takes a few seconds if you use wifi. And it takes longer still on 3g coverage. Let's not forget the versatility of a pc. Having a mouse and keyboard you can navigate and do internet tasks far faster than you could on a phone.

As far as something like the Ipad. . .it depends. Are they refering to just the ipad? Or an Ipad with all the accessories like a keybaord and such. If this was the case it would be similar to a netbook.

I know what you mean. Because its only a phone it will be slower than a pc because the processor is smaller. I wouldnt rely on my phone to use the internet or to download things. I just use it for simple things.

My phone was actually faster when I had DSL. The iPhone has more than enough processor / memory to pull up webpages fast. What you are noticing is mobile optimized websites. The sites can detect that you are on a phone and loads the optimized version automatically. You should be able to switch to the full site no problem. Usually here is a link all the way at the bottom of the page. The Internet is the same.

The iPhone has more than enough processor / memory to pull up webpages fast. What you are noticing is mobile optimized websites. The sites can detect that you are on a phone and loads the optimized version automatically. You should be able to switch to the full site no problem. Usually here is a link all the way at the bottom of the page. The Internet is the same.

Correct. Remember that the iPhone/pad doesn't support flash so that could by why guises movie trailers werent working. Also iOS safari doesn't support alot of files for downloading (eg. torrent files), unless you jailbreak.

Yes, I am unable to download movie trailers or cookies on my iPhone. The iPad is exactly the same. I was unable to download Firefox and several of my favorite PC sites could not be accessed. All-in-all, the iPhone is just amazing but it is no substitute for a PC or an iMac. How people get "hooked" on their phones and use it 24/7 I can't understand.

If your that into movies then I would suggest the app flixster. There's is also a firefox app, both are free.

As with most cases, "there's an app for that!"...

Yes, I am unable to download movie trailers or cookies on my iPhone. The iPad is exactly the same. I was unable to download Firefox and several of my favorite PC sites could not be accessed. All-in-all, the iPhone is just amazing but it is no substitute for a PC or an iMac. How people get "hooked" on their phones and use it 24/7 I can't understand.

You are right but it's not supposed to replace those things. Some people can use it 247 because they don't need all the functionality of a pc. You can't do a lot of downloading. Even jailbroke it's limited but you can send links to gmail so you can download when you are at the pc or even sometime I use team viewer just to DL a file to my pc from the phone. I can even move it to my dropbox if I need access right away. There are workarounds which is all I ask for.

I have gotten into debates about this. Many iPad and iPhone users keep telling me that the mobile internet they get on their handset is exactly the same as the internet you see on a PC or an iMac. I do not agree. When I tried to log-into my Facebook account on my iPhone, I was told that I had no account and must sign-up yet I have a Facebook account on my PC. Another example is the Internet Movie Database. On a PC/iMac, when you access a movie, you also can download the trailer for that movie. However, when using the iPhone, there are no options shown for seeing a trailer; just still photos from the film. I have found numerous other sites that offer less on the mobile internet. Am I mistaken or is the mobile internet a watered-down version?

If you download a other browser, you can change the user agent so that you won't see iPhone optimed websites but just the regular site. Which may not function correctly due the fact there is no flash available on iOS.

Smart phones dont have the same Flash capabilities that Computers have, ie. if you go to the full version of Youtube you cant watch the video on the webpage, or you dont see moving ads and other flash content

When searching for Firefox on the App Store, I found "Firefox Home" but I think it's not the same as Mozilla's Firefox as the logo is different. It shows the outline of a house. Also, a notice appears that I must be age 17 or older. Is this the Firefox that I want? I believe it's different.

When searching for Firefox on the App Store, I found "Firefox Home" but I think it's not the same as Mozilla's Firefox as the logo is different. It shows the outline of a house. Also, a notice appears that I must be age 17 or older. Is this the Firefox that I want? I believe it's different.

Its not what you want. If you read the description it says it's not a web browser. I don't think firefox has an iPhone version of it's browser...

Status
Not open for further replies.