What's new

Missing free space

Torrentula81

Reaction score
I have 16gb non jailbroken iPhone. Haven't done a restore and don't have a computer so can't use iTunes to help me out here. I decided to add up all the app file sizes I have installed looking them up on app store to see if it matched what the settings menu shows and it isn't.

16gb iPhone
14 gb usable memory
4 gb free memory
5.5 gb of app
Also have 32 songs and 30 pics

So this doesn't add up. I have 5.5gb of used data plus whatever songs, pics, and other small what nots. The settings menu shows I have 10gb of used data. Do installed apps take up 40% more space then the downloaded file size? I wish there was an app that would break down used data like iTunes does. Any one else had this problem please help cause google sure isn't. Brings up stuff about Internet data usage.

The files dont take up the same amount of space as the file size is, its the same as on windows or mac, you get a file size that is compressed in a .dmg or .exe or .rar/zip..etc and you install it and it takes up extra space to install.

also do you have any videos? they take up space but show up as photos in itunes in the yellow.

10 Alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod – Simple Help

you can get many itunes alternatives that you might like some of them. just from a simple google search i found that link.

I don't have a computer to manage iPhone. I was looking for apps that gave detailed views of used data. All I have seen are very basic info. I just downloaded puzzle quest 2 wich was 547mb but used up double that installed. If I had known this I definitely would have not gotten the 16GB model for sure. I expected some difference but not 40-50%! Apple shouldn't have even made a 16 gig model. When I had my iPod touch 32GB the games were not this large. I had probably 200+ games on it plus music. At this rate with the quality of games I sure hope they raise these limits.

Some apps take up alot more space than just the size of the download file. As unleashed already said they are compressed so will take up more spaced when installed. Also apps can use more memory space for numerous different things. GT racing is a good example. It is a 435mb download file but takes up over 1gb of space in your phone.

Remember you are jailbroken so all the space your jailbroken apps (including cydia) are taking up, will come off your available space but won't be recognized in the settings menu...