What's new

Messaging with Text Tones and Find my Iphone App

jmcs

Reaction score
I just downloaded the lastest update for my iphone4 so that I could get the Find My Phone feature. A great thing to have on my PC, but I really don't understand what the app does. Why would I want to locate my phone from the app on my iphone???? It just tells me where I am. You do not need this app installed to locate your phone from your computer.

Also mentioned in today's email from Apple, the updated software should have Messaging with Text Tones, so that like Ringtones, each contact could have their own tone. I cannot see a way of doing this on my upgraded version.

Cant help you with the ringtones as I've not updated but I thought it was just extra SMS tones not the ability to assign different ones. Could be wrong.

The FindMyiPhone app is incase you've lost your phone or its been stolen. If you cant find it I gives you the option to wipe all the data off it...

Cant help you with the ringtones as I've not updated but I thought it was just extra SMS tones not the ability to assign different ones. Could be wrong.
The FindMyiPhone app is incase you've lost your phone or its been stolen. If you cant find it I gives you the option to wipe all the data off it...

Messaging with Text Tones. Know who's texting withoug looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for People in your contact list.

I did get the 17 new text tones on my update but don't see any way of assigning them to contacts. (I have no problem with ringtones, just using that as an example of assigning)

Sorry, but you misunderstood my question regarding the Find My Phone App. Please re-read my original question again. My point is that the app is ON THE PHONE. If you lose your phone, what good does the app do you? You do not need the app in order to locate the phone from your home computer, wipe, or leave a message for the thief (or if you are lucky, the person who found your phone). If you are holding the phone in your hand, there is no need to locate it!!!! The ability to locate your lost phone comes from Mobile Me which you set up on your pc. No app necessary. So what is the point?

To quote from the apps description,

"If you loose your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch while on the go, simply install Find My iPhone on any other iOS device to find it"

To quote from the apps description,

"If you loose your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch while on the go, simply install Find My iPhone on any other iOS device to find it"

Ok, so it would help me if I were also carrying around an ipad or ipod touch (which I would not be).

Otherwise, their wording is still rather funny. I am shopping one day and realize that I have lost my phone. So I "simply install Find My iPhone" on another ios device.

"Excuse me sir, but I see you have an ipad. Would you mind very much if I installed an app on it so I can locate my lost phone. Thank you sooo much."

The app would come in handy if my husband also happened to have an iphone - which unfortunately he does not.

It's still handy to have on a computer. You could see if it was moving so you would know if someone had found/stole it. You could get someone from a computer to direct you to it, if it was buried in a bush for example you could get it so sound an alarm of sorts.

At least if the worst comes you can wipe your iPhones data...

Yes, it is a great feature to have. I have installed shortcuts to MobileMe on both of my computers and given my husband the password so that if I lose my phone, I can at least call him and have him wipe or leave a message if I know where I left it. He has been warned not to track me unless necessary. :p

I have a friend whose father sometimes gets lost. She should get him set up on a phone with this feature.