What's new

Message App

nehart

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why some text messages come to me out of sequence and some don't? Particularly long text. Also sometimes my long text to certain contacts is in sequence and some are not.

That is not an iOS issue. That is a cellular provider issue. Especially if you are crossing from one carrier to another. The SMS specification is 160 characters per text. The MMS (picture mode of SMS) is 1000 characters of text. So with that in mind, lets look at a possible scenario.

You have a MMS/SMS plan. The person you are texting does not. You create a text that is 180 characters. iOS will try to send it as a MMS first. The receiving cellular provider sees that your recipient has only a SMS plan. It can do one of two things, reject it or break it up. If it rejects it, your phone should resend as two separate SMS messages. If that happens they are sent in sequential order, but how they will be received is up to the message queue of the other cellular provider. The same thing can happen if the receiving provider breaks it up automatically.

It get even more interesting when it goes from iOS to Android. Some older Android versions break up MMS messages into SMS messages if there is only text in the MMS message. Go figure.

The biggest issue I have seen consistently though is with Verizon and AT&T on older versions of iOS (3, 4 and 5). They sometimes break them up even though there is no need. In fact that is why iMessage came into existence. Because of AT&T and how it handles SMS & MMS.

So while this isn't a direct answer to your question, I hope it gives you a sense of what is going on in the industry.