What's new

Mac OS requirements for iPhone5

Orwellwasright

Reaction score
Can't seem to get a consistent answer on the iP5 pages at apple.com. As I recall, it says that OS 10.6.x is required. But it also says that about the iP4 and 4S, and I know that to not be true. SWMBO's iP4 syncs fine on the desktop running OS 10.5.8 (?) Leopard. What's the scoop? I'm looking forward to pounding my Droid to electronic dust later this year when I'm eligible to upgrade.

Last edited:
Can't seem to get a consistent answer on the iP5 pages at apple.com. As I recall, it says that OS 10.6.x is required. But it also says that about the iP4 and 4S, and I know that to not be true. SWMBO's iP4 syncs fine on the desktop running OS 10.5.8 (?) Leopard. What's the scoop? I'm looking forward to pounding my Droid to electronic dust later this year when I'm eligilbe to upgrade.

The OS of your Mac doesn't matter. What matters is that you are using the latest version of iTunes. I have a PC, probably the majority of us do so why would your Mac's OS have anything to do with it?

iTunes, make sure it's updated and all will be well.

hookbill said:
The OS of your Mac doesn't matter. What matters is that you are using the latest version of iTunes. I have a PC, probably the majority of us do so why would your Mac's OS have anything to do with it?

iTunes, make sure it's updated and all will be well.

Because if the version of iTunes required doesn't exist for my computer(s), then I can't sync. Can anyone shed light on this?
Thx!

Well, why don't you see if you can update iTunes and if you can't do that then you will know? I mean you should update iTunes every time they come up with an update.

Windows XP, which is ancient cat get the latest version of iTunes, at least I think it does. So see if you can update iTunes and you'll have your answer.

Well, I think I have my answer, and I appear to be out of luck.

IP5 requires iTunes 10.7. My OS shows up-to-date with iTunes 10.6.3. I'm on the last OSX for a non-Intel Mac. So, at least for now, no iP5 for me :-( . It takes a $2-300 phone and makes it a $2000-2500 phone: Laptop + phone + other sw updates. I have Office, but I'd need other apps for my business that won't port over. I know I'll have to do it eventually, but the escape from Droidville turns out mighty spendy.

Thx!

Orwellwasright said:
Well, I think I have my answer, and I appear to be out of luck.

IP5 requires iTunes 10.7. My OS shows up-to-date with iTunes 10.6.3. I'm on the last OSX for a non-Intel Mac. So, at least for now, no iP5 for me :-( . It takes a $2-300 phone and makes it a $2000-2500 phone: Laptop + phone + other sw updates. I have Office, but I'd need other apps for my business that won't port over. I know I'll have to do it eventually, but the escape from Droidville turns out mighty spendy.

Thx!

From the iPhone manual (available on iBooks for free)......

"To set up and activate iPhone, turn on iPhone and follow the Setup Assistant. The Setup Assistant steps you through the setup process, including connecting to a Wi-Fi network, signing in with or creating a free Apple ID, setting up iCloud, turning on recommended features such as Location Services and Find My iPhone, and activating iPhone with your carrier. You can also restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup during setup.

Activation can be done over a Wi-Fi network or, with iPhone 4S or later, over your carrier’s cellular network (not available in all areas). If neither option is available, you need to connect iPhone to your computer running iTunes for activation."

So, you are good to go.

The Archangel

Activate, sure, but if you want local (vs iCloud) sync of purchases, photos, tunes, Contacts, iCal and Notes, you have to go through iTunes. Since I don't use iCloud, I don't know if there are OSX Issues.

I checked, and iCloud requires OSX 10.6.x or later.

Last edited:
Orwellwasright said:
Activate, sure, but if you want local (vs iCloud) sync of purchases, photos, tunes, Contacts, iCal and Notes, you have to go through iTunes. Since I don't use iCloud, I don't know if there are OSX Issues.

Well the best way is to set up a free iCloud account from your Mac and see what happens, if it allows you to sync all that good stuff into it then you are still good to go, if it doesn't then you haven't spent anything anyway.

BTW, I use a CloudFTP (the name has changed recently but I can't remember to what) which allows me to copy all kinds of stuff from my Mac to a USB drive then on to my iPad......if at first you don't succeed and all that good stuff!

The Archangel

Even if I could, I'd pass on OTA/cloud sync. Ref: my username...

Orwellwasright said:

Your choice entirely, I'm just giving you ideas. I hope that you get the phone that you really want, whatever the make or model.

The Archangel

Orwellwasright said:

Ohh no! My 10 year old operating system on my 10 year old only computer cannot run new things. What shall I do? And why don't other people have this problem.
If you can answer my question I think you can answer your own.

Please be nice. The OP has a genuine question. Using sarcasm does not help the user. . Col.bris, Administrator

Last edited by a moderator:
zphone said:
Ohh no! My 10 year old operating system on my 10 year old only computer cannot run new things. What shall I do? And why don't other people have this problem.

I think your tone is unnecessary. I started the thread by acknowledging older equipment. My premise was that I wanted to see what my chances were. I'm neither surprised nor angered by what I've learned. There has been no "poor me" in my responses. Reflection on the total cost of the (inevitable) upgrade, but nothing more than that. If cost were my sole motivation, I'd go with a $399 Windoze machine and a Cricket 'droid.

As to the real or perceived negatives of cloud-based activity, I'll spare the readers of this thread that traffic. As should you.

Thanks to hookbill and Gabriel1 for their positive contributions.

Let me guess, let me guess.....You should upgrade your computer! I'll bet that's what it is!

On eBay if you want a Mac you might find one for about $500.00. My iMac went for 700 and it was 4 years old. Unfortunately just like the connectors that have change from 30 pin to lightning. You got to go with newer technology to use the big kid toys.

Sarcasm is not what the OP asked for in his inquiry, Zphone.

Please respect others when commenting to their threads.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

I apologize for the sarcasm. I misinterpreted the intention of the question, And the back and forth with all the suggestions. I understand that not everyone is interested in upgrading things all the time. However, we have to realize that a company does not have to support something forever. It's the life cycle of technology.