What's new

LOW volume problem.

Had similar volume problem..visited Verizon Store, clerk said, "Remove the protective plastic from the face." Turns out, it completely covers the earpiece! Thought i was protecting the screen, but was blocking the sound! Simple solution for me.

My brand new iphone 4 is wonderful, but when actually using it as a phone, I can't hear what the other person is saying. I have of course tried the volume button but can only adjust the volume very marginally. I can hear that there is a voice at the other end, but it's ridicilously low. I am not hearing impared... :) Is there a master volume control somewhere?

Had the same issue...solution is to
take off the front plastic cover that is on the face of the phone.
The cover mutes the volume.

I had the same problem and DAH I forgot to take the screen cover off the face of the phone. If you don't take it off you obscure the volume and can't hear the caller. I took it off and the problem was solved.

I find that the speakerphone volume is much better on my new 4s vs. my 4 and I appreciate that when cruising down the freeway.

WOW! That Worked! I'm so excited... who'd ever thought something SOOO simple.

I am embarrased to admit I did the same thing!!! It happened with my flash too, so you would think I would have thought of that!!! Thank you!!

beb2010, I looked at the app you mentioned and it only advertised muting functions. Didn't say anything about raising volume.
Most replies here have been to remove plastic layer. I did that the first day.
Some have recommended using the volume buttons on the left side of the phone. With all due respect, duh.

Internal volumes on this phone are not set high enough for a lot of users. Speaker phone is better (but then the other caller can't hear us as well), headphones are better, bluetooth devices sound like they work better (i haven't tried one). Not many flaws in this device other than this volume thing. Maybe in future models they'll bump it up a couple decibels and we won't have to have these threads.

I had the same problem. Then I realized I had not yet removed the protective film from from the screen. It's covering the screen when you purchase the phone. So you have to take it off and then you will be able to hear it just fine.

This is what worked for me!!
If you have left the display's clear protective-plastic film with which iPhone shipped on the device, REMOVE IT.

I don't know if this is your problem but I couldn't hear phone calls either and it was because I kept the plastic cover on it to keep it as new as possible. But it covers the speaker

I also have this problem that started recently. I do not have a film over the speaker. I've tried the in call volume increase, tried maxing it in settings, tried a reset, nothing has helped.

I'm having trouble with the volume only when using FaceTime. No film on my phone. Tried using volume button on left side, still no loud enough to hear. Tried posting this on FaceTime forum but no reply.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net on Sprint

My brand new iphone 4 is wonderful, but when actually using it as a phone, I can't hear what the other person is saying. I have of course tried the volume button but can only adjust the volume very marginally. I can hear that there is a voice at the other end, but it's ridicilously low. I am not hearing impared... :) Is there a master volume control somewhere?

I was having the same problem, let me ask you a silly question, have you taken off the screen protector yet?