What's new

Loud honk on the other end of call when I turn on speakerphone

mr coffeee

Reaction score
I have an iphone SE (old version) that works perfectly except it makes a loud sound I can't hear, but the caller on the other end can. It makes the sound when I switch my phone to speakerphone each and every time, but also after several minutes on the phone with someone, and I haven't been able to figure out the stimulus for those occurrences.

The sound reminds me of a short honk of a car horn or a buzzer, and is about 1/2 second in duration. Does the SE not like the latest iOS update, or is this a hardware issue. My friends complain it is REALLY LOUD if they are holding the phone up to their ear!!

You don’t have any geese nearby by any chance? :) Seriously, have you tried switching on speakerphone when you know you are in a quiet place. Background noise can get amplified.

I have tried switching to speakerphone in a very quiet room, no difference.

The weird thing is I don't hear a thing on my end, just whomever I'm talking to.

It doesn't sound like acoustic feedback (when I've called my wife's phone so I could hear what people were hearing and complaining about}.

The sound has an abrupt start and ends equally abruptly. Sounds like it is full amplitude for the sound channel. Really loud.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

Just wondering - could updating to iOS 13.6 have caused this?

Turns out it was hardware - the audio chip in the phone was dying. In case anyone finds this thread with a similar symptom.