What's new

Looking for a Paper Coupon Scanning App

I use MyCoupons also, and I love it! But I hate entering all the coupon data each week! There are multiple coupon inserts each week and each one has tons of coupons, so the data entery is overwhelming! If the coupons could be scanned in instead it would be perfect! I don't know if I need an app that IS my coupon (I have them all in a binder), I'm just tired of entering all the info myself, so if you create an app that scans them in, I would be very interested in that! Please keep us updated!

how does that work?

I too have been looking for an app that will let me scan my paper coupons and keep track of them. I was using Track My Coupons and although this app is great, if you are a big couponer like myself, it takes a LOT of time to manually input every single coupon that comes in your Sunday paper. I don't really need the app to print my coupons, I just need to keep track of everything that I have so I don't have to look through my binder everytime I want to go shopping or matching the ads. Ideally I want to eliminate my binder altogether. If you look at the free version of Track My Coupons, it has everything a true couponer would need, we just need the ability to scan the barcode on the coupon and then fill in the fields. When I was using Track my coupons, in the notes field, I would put the insert the coupon was in, for instance Red Plum 10/15/11 so I could easily find the insert with my paper filing system and then clip them. I hope this helps you and all the other couponers out there looking for a way to save time and money.

Stores will not allow a digital scan of a paper coupon. They have to have the original coupon in order for them to get reimbursed.

Do you guys know if the grocery stores will allow you to use digital coupons for their inserts? I wasn't sure if they would require you to physically give them to the store so that they could mail them into the company for redemption?

Stores will not allow a digital scan of a paper coupon. They have to have the original coupon in order for them to get reimbursed.​

Do you guys know if the grocery stores will allow you to use digital coupons for their inserts? I wasn't sure if they would require you to physically give them to the store so that they could mail them into the company for redemption?

Our stores want the physical coupon.

Are you also working on an app for the Android? I would also like to be able to scan in my coupons to keep track of them, search for them, etc.

Yeah so originally my app just going to scan in the coupon and allow you to scan it at the store. But thanks to you guys I found out you have to have the physical coupon. so it seems like you are looking for an app to help manage your physical coupons and keep track of what you actually clip. Translating the value and store the coupon belongs to could be a little more complicated. I mean I can definitely scan it but trying to extract that info from the coupon becomes much more difficult since I don't have a database that matches the barcode to the details of the coupon itself. I will think about this some more. Do most people use red plum or a variety of other sources?

yes, ive been looking forever for an app that could scan a physical coupon, it takes FOREVEr to manually put them in. an even better app i'd def pay for would be one you could scan and keep history of your physical coupon, then scan a barcode of a product at the store & it could look thru your history to see if you have a coupon to match, but not sure that is possible. one that could scan in the info of yhe physical coupon would be a huge saver for a lot of people. there are a zillion apps out there but none that do this. (i have an android tho, my ipad is 1st generation so i can't scan).
any progress? you have a lot of people out here that need this app :)

Thanks for your continued efforts to create this app, it would really be very useful for couponers! You are moving in the right direction with it, the stores definitely won't accept the coupons from the phone. It sounds like you can extract the information pertaining to the item, but you can't read the information that tells you which insert the coupon came from? There are typically 2 major inserts that come out every Sunday, Red Plum and Smart Source. There are occasionally a couple others like Proctor & Gamble, PepsiCo, etc. Maybe you could set up different "folders" inside the app, the user could name them (like Smart Source 1/08/12) then scan in all the coupons. Then when you look up an item, the database would show you all the coupons you have for that item, give you details like $$ off, expiration date, etc., and tell you where it is located (the folder name). Also, the user should be able to choose to automatically delete expired coupons or not. Sorry for all the specific requests, I've been couponing for a while and I know what works, I think everyone else would agree! Good luck with the development, hope to see the app available soon!

I don't know if this will help but Lawd, I hope so bc I would LOVE an app like this!
From what I understand all coupons will be using a GS1 databar barcode from now on.... The way I understand it, is that when stores scan the coupon with the GS1 thing all of the coupons info will be right there (what's it for, how much it's worth, what it excludes, if it states not to double, expiration date, the weight of the product, etc).

All we would need is a GS1 scanner and the ability to make a list of what we've scanned, possibly be able to export the list so we can use it on our desktop/laptop, a way to search the database/list we make, an expiring soon notification would be great as would the ability to add our own tags (ex: filed under: frozen or RP 1/1 or whatever).... Yes, I've given this some thought ;) unfortunately, I have NO ida how to make apps... Only how to create a wish list ;);)

Here's the link about GS1:
Products & Solutions | GS1 - The global language of business

Last edited:
I use Red Plum, Smart Source, General Mills and Proctor & Gamble. If you can get the scanner to read the GS1 format, it has more details about the coupon. We need products name and varieties allowed, denomination, quantity to purchase and expiration date.

Would like to be able to sort the scanned coupons by location in the store.

Rog, thank you for giving this couponing issue a stab! Here's what we need: Coupons from RedPlum, SmartSource, P&G and anything else that comes in the Sunday paper. If you go to each of these coupon websites you are able to enter your store savings card and add coupons (I'm assuming normally found in the paper) to it. There are also "printables" at Coupons.com that you can add to your store cards. If stores actually require the paper coupons, then a code scanner is a must. In a perfect world your app will collect all the coupons for the week from all the various locations electronically and store them centrally. Additionally it would access the weekly specials for each store, store my savings card info, and help me figure out which store has the best deals for the week. A shopping list feature would integrate all this info, create a list with a total depending on the store I select. I would only have to take my phone to the store instead of this stinking binder!
How many trees have to DIE so we can afford to buy groceries??? The scanner should also come with a "mute" feature so I can scan my unruly offspring and simply mute him, so I can concentrate on the miserable chore of buying food with coupons. While you are at it, if you could download cashier schedules for the stores we shop so I can check out from the ONE remaining cashier that doesn't make me feel like a complete LOSER for dumping these stupid scraps of paper on them......
Ok, just kidding on those last two requests, but can't a girl dream? One would think with a bachelor's degree in Business and 20 years of career success under my belt I would be fully qualified and prepared to buy GROCERIES??? Apparently not if you throw the mofo coupons into the mix! I am pretty sure your app would be scooped up in a jiffy, so BRING IT! Pretty Please?

Just a thought, instead of trying to develop an App to scan the bar code, wouldn't it be easier to develop an App that could take a picture of the coupon and then it can extract the data that way? While the barcode scanner would be great, I think that developing a text reader would be easier and just as efficient.

It's here!
It's called "Coupon Scan" in the app store (App Store - Coupon Organizer and Scanner).
It needs a little work IMO but it has the potential to be fabulous! Unfortunately it's $9.99. I'm going to hold off on purchasing it till all the kinks are worked out. I emailed the company and asked for things such as the ability to have the search include the text from the notes and questioned the printable coupons scanning ability, he responded:

"The app does work- my only caution to users is "please give it a little time!" There are 1000's of coupons now-- but there are so many coupons all over the country... it was impossible for us to find them all. So for the first week or so- some users will have to scan in more coupons than they would like to.. but after a week or so we should have a HUGE database, with nearly every coupon out there. We just need a bit of time to get the users started. This app literally just went live!"
SOOOOO EXCITING!!!!