What's new

Location based reminders for locations without street address using G maps

keevill

Reaction score
I am finding it impossible to get location based reminders working for places which have no major street address.
I live in a country ( Thailand ) where places frequently don't have 'proper addresses' .
Therefore, I do the following.
When I am somewhere I want to record as a place for future reminders I open G Maps and after the pointer shows my location, I click on the pointer , add a name and add to contacts.
I give a name like 'The Bistro'.
I can see a small map icon in the contact and it looks fine.
However, when I try to say 'remind me to buy food' , Siri asks when and when I say 'when I arrive at 'The Bisto', Siri doesn't recognise the contact.
I am guessing that this is because, if an location doesn't have an address such as a postcode or street number, then it can't work.
Is this assumption correct or is there some trick to get it to work ?
The perfect scenario would be to have a way to enter the exact co-ordinates as the location but I am reading that this is not possible.

Otherwise, Siri works very well

Thx for any help.
-keevill-

Unfortunately reminders don't work like that. Siri can only do location based reminders for YOUR contact, not for businesses, so if you wanted to do location based reminders at grocery stores or restaurants you would have to add the address to your personal contact information.

Unfortunately reminders don't work like that. Siri can only do location based reminders for YOUR contact, not for businesses, so if you wanted to do location based reminders at grocery stores or restaurants you would have to add the address to your personal contact information.

That is EXACTLY what I am doing.
I enter the current location as a new contact and give it a 'friendly' name.
Another example is my house.
It is in a remote location and is not on a main road. I locate it in G maps and enter it as a personal contact as 'My Home'.
Note , there is no house number and street address because it is in a remote location. G maps find it perfectly of course but Siri doesn't want to know.
If there was a way to enter the geog co-ordinates into the contacts, then that would be perfect.

I mean you have to add the location to YOUR contact information, not to a new contact. Then you would say "remind me to..... when I get home"

Last edited:
I mean you have to add the location to YOUR contact information, not to a new contact. Then you would say "remind me to..... when I get home"

That is for my address, yes , I realise that.
But what about for other contacts such as my neighbour's house ?
Siri works for contacts other than the personal details of the registered owner.
There would be no problem if I enter a postcode in the address field but there isn't one hence, I use G maps.
Actually, it seems to work sometimes.