What's new

Lifeproof Case Question

nate1224hoops

Reaction score
Does anyone know what part of the iPhone 4 senses that your face is near and doesn't allow buttons to be pushed? I just bought the life proof case and it seems to have altered the function. It happens to me all the time that the person I am talking to says " are you there, are you there". Only to find out that I've hit the mute button. Or when I will go to hit end at the end of a call it will be back to my home page. Somehow it's not recognizing that I'm on a call. Any ideas?? Thanks

There's a "Proximity Sensor" next to the earpiece. Start a call and put your thumb over the earpiece and surrounding area... them report back w/ what it does.

Thomasjtsi said:
There's a "Proximity Sensor" next to the earpiece. Start a call and put your thumb over the earpiece and surrounding area... them report back w/ what it does.

Yep it's the case. I did this and nothing happens. Took the phone out the case and it goes off just like it should.

I love my red lifeproof case but the sound quality is different. Actually I hate it. Also, it seems the proximity sensor doesn't work properly. Needless to say its not lifeproof anymore. I just "fixed" it. Opened up the speaker holes and proximity sensor. Still looks great and love the belt clip. Oh well...

nate1224hoops said:
Yep it's the case. I did this and nothing happens. Took the phone out the case and it goes off just like it should.

I love my red lifeproof case but the sound quality is different. Actually I hate it. Also, it seems the proximity sensor doesn't work properly. Needless to say its not lifeproof anymore. I just "fixed" it. Opened up the speaker holes and proximity sensor. Still looks great and love the belt clip. Oh well...

Then that leads me to believe its a "Knock-off" Lifeproof case. The proximity sensor not working properly is a common problem when it's not a real Lifeproof. Sorry...

Thomas, quick question on the sensor thing. *new to iPhone & still learning jargin*

I don't have a case covering the front of my phone and I've often put myself on 'mute' or cut a call off. I've done what you said above and it works properly, so any idea what I did with my cheek during the call??

Thomas, quick question on the sensor thing. *new to iPhone & still learning jargin*

I don't have a case covering the front of my phone and I've often put myself on 'mute' or cut a call off. I've done what you said above and it works properly, so any idea what I did with my cheek during the call??

Thomas is offline, so I'll try to assist you. :)
It could be possible that your not holding the phone close enough to your ear to block the light out. Try holding your phone closer, and if the problem persists, you may wanna take it to Apple and have them test the proximity sensor.

Thanks alot Dark, I realized after reading your reply that that could very well be my issue. so very used to my Droid.

I'll pay closer attention next I make a call.

Darkstar2007 said:
Thomas is offline, so I'll try to assist you. :)
It could be possible that your not holding the phone close enough to your ear to block the light out. Try holding your phone closer, and if the problem persists, you may wanna take it to Apple and have them test the proximity sensor.

I have a lifeproof case and the proximity sensor woks perfect.
Did you grab it at amazon?
I never ever had a problem and have 2 Life proof cases

The lifelock case has a tiny shade installed on the inside of the cover. That little thing blocks the sensor. I removed it, and the phone works fine now. Just sayin.