What's new

Jailbreaking and syncing

mike1

Reaction score
After having jailbroken my 3Gs, I want to sync my ringtones in itunes onto my iphone but itunes opens in a "Setup your iphone" screen with options "setup as new iphone or restore from the backup" of my phone. How can I sync my ringtones?

mike1 said:
After having jailbroken my 3Gs, I want to sync my ringtones in itunes onto my iphone but itunes opens in a "Setup your iphone" screen with options "setup as new iphone or restore from the backup" of my phone. How can I sync my ringtones?

You can restore from the backup while jailbroken. Right click on the device in iTunes and select restore from backup

When I right click it wants to "eject". As I mentioned in my OP, itunes is in a "Setup your iphone" screen with options "setup as new iphone or restore from the backup". It wants me to choose.

It doesnt mean restore the firmware again.

It means start the phone with nothing i.e. A new phone.

Or restore it from a back up of before you updated, your sms's contacts etc will be restored.

---
I am here: Google Maps

Clicking the restore button says "The backup of my iphone cannot be restored to this iphone because the software on the iphone is too old. To restore this iphone from this backup, you must first setup the phone as new, and restore the software to the latest version" :(

Last edited:
Can anyone here tell me what I should do at this point? Will setting up as new phone lose my jailbreak? What options do I have?

Sounds like your backup file is from a newer iOS than what you are on right now, in that case you will not be able to restore it, backups are not backwards compatible. You can use a program like iPhone Backup Extractor to extract whatever you need from the backup.

Sounds like your backup file is from a newer iOS than what you are on right now, in that case you will not be able to restore it, backups are not backwards compatible. You can use a program like iPhone Backup Extractor to extract whatever you need from the backup.

You are absolutely correct J. The backup was 4.3.5 and I'm on firmware 4.1 now. So...for future reference, backup the iphone after the downgrade, but before the jailbreak. :) I may try the iphone backup extractor. But one problem remains, I still can't sync my phone the way things are now. Now I may have asked this before, but what happens if I click "setup as new phone" in itunes? Some say I'll lose the JB and some say no.

No, you will not lose jailbreak it will just start you off fresh(no contacts, no music, no photos, no settings, etc.)

And that would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to do anyway. Got it. So what I believe my choices are right now,
1- Try the iphone backup extractor, thus keeping my JB
2- Wait for the iOS5 untethered JB, (do my upgrade and save before JB)
3- unjailbreak and start all over(don't think so)

I'm thinking wait a bit for #2