What's new

Jailbreak 5.1.1

nawalg

Reaction score
Hi. I have iphone 4 ios 5.0.1 jailbroken. If i update to 5.1.1 and jailbreak. Will my previous tweaks be gone? Does that mean i need to do again all the tweaks?

Yep u have to install all your tweaks again and when jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 make sure to do a fresh restore as it speeds up the time to install the jb

Okay. Then how to unjailbreak? So i need to back up in itunes then update then jailbreak again. Am i correct?

Yes. And it is best to not restore from backup.

Just transfer purchases to iTunes.
DFU restore to 5.1.1 iPSW (download from Firefox, or Chrome..NOT Internet Explorer)

Jailbreak with Absinthe or redsn0w.
Absinthe from here: http://greenpois0n.com
Or redsn0w from here:http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Use redsn0w to DFU jailbreak.
Or use Absinthe to backup restore jailbreak.

Redsn0w can backup restore as well...but if your gonna use redsn0w, you might as well DFU restore..because redsn0w does it so well.
With DFU jailbreak you can have all your data on your device...with Absinthe/backup restore jailbreak it's best to jailbreak directly after restore and on screen setup. The phone also has to be activated. I used Absinthe...my jailbreak is fine.

You can install a tweak calls xBackup. This is what you want.

Just SSH(use i-FunBox) into xBackups folder..transfer backup.zip to computer.

Once you can open Cydia...just install xBackup...SSH the backup.zip into the same DIR(directory/path).

Open xBackup...tap the Restore button...wait..it can take a little whole...it's normal. After restore...reboot phone *twice*..and all tweaks are installed in one shot.

Male sure you check to see if any of the packages you have installed now are even compatible with 5.1.1. Most are..but check. I know Music Controls Pro is not...but that's the only one I know of.

Just make sure ya don't backup tweaks that are not 5.1.1 compatible.

As long as you don't restore from backup....make sure all tweaks being installed are 5.1.1 compatible....you will be very impressed with the stability of the jailbreak. Much better the 5.0.1.

Okayy thanks for the explannation. But i need to ask, what is DFU? I dun quite understand. Im sorry. Im new, i only know how to jailbreak. Heheh

nawalg said:
Okayy thanks for the explannation. But i need to ask, what is DFU? I dun quite understand. Im sorry. Im new, i only know how to jailbreak. Heheh

DFU(DeviceFirmwarwUpdate) is a fail safe mode you can go into to restore should your device freeze, or just has problems, that cannot be resolved with reboots and stuff.

DFU mode is designed to be activated by physical button presses(regardless of software problems) that way...no matters how bad your device gets messed up....you will always be able to enter DFU mode so you can restore

There is only one way to enter DFU mode.
It is a series of physical button presses/holds.

How to enter DFU mode:

1) Shut down device *completely*.

2) now *simultaneously" press the sleep/power button and the home button...count to 10 as soon as buttons are pressed

3) As soon as you get to 10...release the sleep/power button...only(keep holding home button)

4) As soon as you let go of the sleep/power button...start counting to 15...and do not let go of the home button until you have counted to 15.

If you followed the steps correctly your device will be in DFU mode. The device has a black/blank screen...it just looks like it is shut off....but it's not...it's in DFU mode.

*NEVER* enter DFU mode while device is still on. Developers tell you to shut down device fully before entering DFU for a reason...so why not do things rite.

A lot of people will say its fine to enter DFU while device is on....but trust me...it is not. You risk not having processes stop properly before powering off. This in itself...can cause "invisible" problems.. #1 reason to always shut down fully (slide to power off) before entering DFU.

There is also PWNED DFU mode.
This is a little different.
PWNED DFU is a hacked version of regular DFU.
PWNED DFU mode is for restoring to custom iPSWs *only*. Besides restoring to a custom iPSW, there is no reason you should enter PWNED DFU mode.

You can only enter PWNED DFU mode with an exploit called Limera1n packed in a package called iREB. iREB is built within almost all jailbreak tools....sn0wbreeze, redsn0w, iFaith, and can be downloaded as a standalone app from here : ih8sn0w.com

Only none-A5 devices can enter PWNED DFU mode...because it requires a bootrom exploit(hardware) and there is no boot level exploit for the 4S and iPad 2+ yet.

So only iPhone 4 and lower models can enter PWNED DFU mode.

How to enter PWNED DFU (so you can restore to a custom iPSW):

1) Open iREB(or tool that has iREB built in...which is basically all of them except Absinthe)
2) Plug in iDevice
3) enter DFU mode
4) wait for iREB to inject the Limera1n exploit
You are only in PWNED DFU if you get the success message from iREB.

Last edited:
Woww. Thanks for the explanation. I now understand already. Thanks soo much :).

Have you notice any battery performance loss after upgrading on your iphone 4? I'm still on iOS 4, contemplating to upgrade. Thanks

You do not need DFU to update to latest iOS.
This is the sequence I followed and it worked for me.
- Backup to iTunes.
- Update OS thru iTunes to iOS 5.1.1
- Backup - this is the copy you neeed - do not password protect this copy.
- Go to settings and reset all data and settings - you will have no user content any more.
- Use Cydia 2.04 to jailbreak
- Update cydia, check for any issues.
- Restore from step 3 backup - warning do not use a previous backup to restore.
Congradulations - now install any new tweaks that you want - it's very important that you only install tweaks that are compatible with 5.1.1 do some research here.

zphone said:
You do not need DFU to update to latest iOS.
This is the sequence I followed and it worked for me.
- Backup to iTunes.
- Update OS thru iTunes to iOS 5.1.1
- Backup - this is the copy you neeed - do not password protect this copy.
- Go to settings and reset all data and settings - you will have no user content any more.
- Use Cydia 2.04 to jailbreak
- Update cydia, check for any issues.
- Restore from step 3 backup - warning do not use a previous backup to restore.
Congradulations - now install any new tweaks that you want - it's very important that you only install tweaks that are compatible with 5.1.1 do some research here.

DFU is not needed but is more efficient.

I have a 4s iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken. Is updating to 5.1.1 worth it if I plan to jailbreak again? It seems like a pain to update, rejailbreak and then reinstall all of the tweaks that are compatible? I'm just wondering what the pluses would be to update. Thank you!

klw91 said:
I have a 4s iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken. Is updating to 5.1.1 worth it if I plan to jailbreak again? It seems like a pain to update, rejailbreak and then reinstall all of the tweaks that are compatible? I'm just wondering what the pluses would be to update. Thank you!

It's better.
More *STABLE* period.
Battery lasts longer.
Bugs in 5.0.1 fixed.

5.1.1 is way more stable and smooth then 5.0.1.

That's all I needed to see to stay updated to 5.1.1.

5.0.1 just sucks. Most unstable jailbreak I have ever had since iOS 4. Was very glad to see the stability of the jailbreak improved so much when I updated.

It's better.
More *STABLE* period.
Battery lasts longer.
Bugs in 5.0.1 fixed.

5.1.1 is way more stable and smooth then 5.0.1.

That's all I needed to see to stay updated to 5.1.1.

5.0.1 just sucks. Most unstable jailbreak I have ever had since iOS 4. Was very glad to see the stability of the jailbreak improved so much when I updated.

Ok thanks. I'll try it but make sure you're around for me to bug when I have a ton of questions...I'm not that tech savvy haha.

klw91 said:
Ok thanks. I'll try it but make sure you're around for me to bug when I have a ton of questions...I'm not that tech savvy haha.

Ok.lol