What's new

Itunes Sync issues

Flea

Reaction score
OK I am new to the forum, I have done some searching and can not find out what I am doing wrong. Please someone direct me in the right direction

I can not sync my jailbreak iphone with itunes. The iphone is version 4.1 and the itunes version is 10.1.1.4 I am trying to sync through a usb cable but keep getting an error that says "Itunes cannot read the contents of...."

Are these two versions not compatible? should I update the software on the phone? or itunes version.

I do not wish to blank out my phone as I have lots on there that is not backed up.

Please help

Welcome to the Forum.
It's always a good habit to backup your files once in a while depends on how much you adding new files into your phone. Just an advice.
Now you might try to update the iTunes and see if the latest iTunes will recognize your iPhone. Incase it doesn't then you will have to upgrade to the latest version of iOS, of course that process will make you lose all your files and docs. What you can do to save some of your files which are in your iPhone to your computer is to ssh into your iPhone using appropriate software for that. Since you are jailbreak, you should be able to do so.

bab2010 said:
Welcome to the Forum.
It's always a good habit to backup your files once in a while depends on how much you adding new files into your phone. Just an advice.
Now you might try to update the iTunes and see if the latest iTunes will recognize your iPhone. Incase it doesn't then you will have to upgrade to the latest version of iOS, of course that process will make you lose all your files and docs. What you can do to save some of your files which are in your iPhone to your computer is to ssh into your iPhone using appropriate software for that. Since you are jailbreak, you should be able to do so.

+1 I couldn't have said it better myself! Oh and welcome to the forum by the way I'm sorry I forgot to mention that! :D!

OK, updated itunes and it seems to be syncing right now. What should I do to protect my data in the future?

Flea said:
OK, updated itunes and it seems to be syncing right now. What should I do to protect my data in the future?

Back your iPhone up regularly and always try to download iTunes updates :D!

If I wanted to update the software on the phone what would be the best way to do it, with still keeping it jailbroken?

The only reason I want to update it, is because the newer version of the OS can accept appointments from outlook.

Flea said:
If I wanted to update the software on the phone what would be the best way to do it, with still keeping it jailbroken?

The only reason I want to update it, is because the newer version of the OS can accept appointments from outlook.

4.3.3 and 4.2.8 are the most recent versions you can perform a untethered jailbreak on.

Flea said:
Thank you for your reply, but how do I go about doing that?

What version are you running?
Either way if your really serious about jailbreaking you cant update. If your not serious about jailbreaking then update :D!

My phone is running version 4.1 it is currently jailbroken, I want to update the software version without being looked out of it. I am worried if I update through Itunes then I will be locked out.

Flea said:
My phone is running version 4.1 it is currently jailbroken, I want to update the software version without being looked out of it. I am worried if I update through Itunes then I will be locked out.

Looked out of it? I'm not sure I understand what your telling me. You can update your phone it'll just take your jailbreak away. Then it's a long process to even try and downgrade.

Sorry locked out. How do I go about making sure I don't wipe the jailbreak out?
I want to upgrade so I can accept outlook appointments.

Flea said:
Sorry locked out. How do I go about making sure I don't wipe the jailbreak out?
I want to upgrade so I can accept outlook appointments.

The upgrade will knock it out. There's no way around that.

I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I really apprecaite it.