What's new

iTunes freezing getting worse with each iOS...

Diffie

Reaction score
Hi,

First, if this is not an appropriate question for the these forums, I do apologize and ask that you provide me suggestions of where to search for an answer if at all possible. As a Windows 7 user and an iPhone user (both of which I like very much), it is frustrating to have this problem. I run Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my laptop. When I had my 3gs I had very few problems upgrading to new iOS versions and updating/syncing the apps on the phone with iTunes. However, things have become progressively worse with my iPhone 4. With each new iOS upgrade (and invariably an iTunes upgrade - now 10.5), iTunes freezes more frequently and for longer periods of time whenever synchronizing/upgrading apps. The problem relates to how iTunes uses RAM memory in Windows. iTunes is the only program with which I have this problem. Previous to the latest iOS release, I was able to get iTunes responding again by using a "trick" of opening Task Manager, selecting iTunes and clicking "End Task" but then cancelling the "End Task" request (rather than confirming) after about 10 seconds. iTunes would then release the memory and begin functioning again. With iOS 5, this "trick" is no longer working. I am running iTunes as Administrator and without any "Compatibility" settings. If you are successfully running iTunes with your iPhone on a machine running Windows 7 64bit, please give me specific information about how you are running it (compatibility settings, administrator settings, permissions, 64 or 32bit version of iTunes, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Diffie

I don't know about 64 bit, I am running Win 7 32 bit and I have never experienced any issues with iTunes for any upgrade. Just upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, again no problem at all.
Also I have never run any compatibility test before installing or upgrading iTunes. I am no expert, but may be there is a conflict somewhere.

Bluering,

I'm glad you've had no problems. However, I'm trying to find out if anyone else who has had similar problems has found a solution. I know that thousands of people have had this issue, because I have combed through many forums looking for the answer. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a way to fix nor work around this yet.