What's new

I Phone 4 will not sync and freezing ITUNES

slim

Reaction score
My Iphone 4 has been working like a dream ... until now.

On trying to sync to ITUNEs on same computer I've used for at least a year, big trouble!

Simply would not sync - ITUNES hanging on backup so ...

1.Reinstalled ITUNES - no help
2.Did a 'restore' from ITUNES and lost calendars and some music on the way - no good

Same problem - ITUNES just hangs on 'backing up' and does nothing else.
So then I have to 'eject' - then ITUNES freezes and I have to end ITUNES through task manager.

Someone somewhere reckoned that voice memos could be a problem so deleted these from my iphone before steps 1 and 2 - no good.

Can someone with some knowledge of this problem shed some light for me.I have managed to get the latest software on IPHONE following the 'restore' from ITUNES.( not much use though!)

Many thanks
Slim

My Iphone 4 has been working like a dream ... until now.

On trying to sync to ITUNEs on same computer I've used for at least a year, big trouble!

Simply would not sync - ITUNES hanging on backup so ...

1.Reinstalled ITUNES - no help
2.Did a 'restore' from ITUNES and lost calendars and some music on the way - no good

Same problem - ITUNES just hangs on 'backing up' and does nothing else.
So then I have to 'eject' - then ITUNES freezes and I have to end ITUNES through task manager.

Someone somewhere reckoned that voice memos could be a problem so deleted these from my iphone before steps 1 and 2 - no good.

Can someone with some knowledge of this problem shed some light for me.I have managed to get the latest software on IPHONE following the 'restore' from ITUNES.( not much use though!)

Many thanks
Slim

Anyone have a clue on this problem? I have the same basic issue, hanging on the backup. This is a company phone and laptop and had been working fine for months. I have been trying to remember what apps I may have added recently thinking maybe one of them is creating a problem but according to Apple that shouldn't happen if it came from their app store right?. The phone is not JB and the OS is up to date. Any help appreciated.

I have the exact same problem, very annoying
When it happens to me I have to kill the program through task manager because iTunes will not shutdown itself. The phone will continue to say sync in progress indefinitely even after I kill the program. Does your act similarly?

I think that your issue is more related to your computer than to the iPhone itself. Try cleaning up your computer and then defragmenting it, also try looking for malwares or so... it should sync better afterward.

When it happens to me I have to kill the program through task manager because iTunes will not shutdown itself. The phone will continue to say sync in progress indefinitely even after I kill the program. Does your act similarly?
Kind of. I don´t do the sync automatically when I connect the phone. But when I do the sync it takes longer than it does "normally". It doesn´t freeze during the sync, at least I don´t think so.
But it takes forever to start iTunes, doesn´t matter if I have the phone connected to the computer or not.

Yeah, I think it's your computer. My laptop is about 4 years old, and slow. I had my Norton Scan running, and a bunch of other crap. I got a message that iTunes would not connect, and I had to do some sort of restore. So after freaking a bit, I calmed down and decided to let all the processes finish. Once they did, I shut down my laptop for a few minutes and then restarted it. I was then finally able to connect with iTunes without issue.

I also have Symantec Endpoint Protection, and when I log into my laptop, it looks for updates. So since my issue last week, I wait to connect to iTunes until the little green light is showing on the icon. Sorry to be so crude in my descriptions, but I'm not that techie!

Last edited:
FWIW, Norton products create all sorts of problems. I use the freebie Zone Alarm & Avast antivirus programs. Seems that I have been relatively problem-free with regard to downloads & syncs between my 'puter & Apple devices since I stopped using Norton.

I think that your issue is more related to your computer than to the iPhone itself. Try cleaning up your computer and then defragmenting it, also try looking for malwares or so... it should sync better afterward.
Well here's what I tried. I defragged, didn't really need one though. I installed the latest iTunes, I was 1 version behind but it worked before. I scanned for any malware virus issues and found none. That is maintained corporately actually. Reboot. plug in the phone, no problem iTunes starts correctly, a sync starts. It copied several updated apps since the last successful sync several weeks or more ago. It proceeds through the music, the videos, photos, etc. Then it gets to step 5 I believe, the last step. then I get an error message that reads, iTunes could not back up the iPhone "insert name" because a session could not be started with the phone." I don't get I'm highly skeptical that it is the PC.
This is the error message.
$iTunes error.png

I also tried running the diagnostics in iTunes. I ran all the connectivity test both internet connection test and device connection test and all passed. I try a sync right after and I get to the last step, back up, and get the same error message.

My laptop is about 4 years old, and slow. I had my Norton Scan running, and a bunch of other crap. I got a message that iTunes would not connect, and I had to do some sort of restore. So after freaking a bit, I calmed down and decided to let all the processes finish. Once they did, I shut down my laptop for a few minutes and then restarted it. I was then finally able to connect with iTunes without issue.
!

Hi Annie. From past postings I know you're almost as freaked out about using iTunes as I am! I only use it to save occasional backups, and even that doesn't work out as I expected (I can have only ONE backup saved at a time, and that backup is saved when I hook up to iTunes!! What if I hooked up my iPhone after losing Contacts, etc... What good would saving THAT as the only backup do for me! Stupid iTunes!). Anyway, sorry about all that!
Anyway, the reason for writing is to confirm your point about Norton Endpoint. It can really not play nicely with iTunes either.

Don't know if anyone is still have trouble with this issue but I was successful correcting my problem using this procedure. Good luck.