What's new

Is there a way to turn the text alert volume down???

NinnJinn

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4... I work in a noisier than usual atmosphere so I have my ring tone and alerts cranked all the way up. (still manage to miss most of my calls and texts though)

Anyways, 4 different times this week I was on the phone and got a text message. Good grief I thought the alert was going to bust my eardrum! Every other phone I have had, it either did NOT alert me while on the phone, or it had an extreamely soft alert while I was on the phone...

Is there anything I can do so my ear drum doesn't get busted if I get a text while talking on my phone?

That's very strange... even though your alarm volume is up, your iPhone should vibrate when you receive message and are in phone call. I do not understand why it rings while you are in phone call.

Thanks bab!!! Is there something in the settings i can try? I have a new replacement iPhone sitting here due to my under warranty one having some static issues. I am just waiting for my otterbox to arrive before I activate my new one and send the old one back...

That's very strange... even though your alarm volume is up, your iPhone should vibrate when you receive message and are in phone call. I do not understand why it rings while you are in phone call.

I think the OP was talking about the usual text alert that occurs if you get a text during a call, not that the phone was actually ringing. It's an annoyance brought up before, but I can't find the thread! I wish Apple would allow us to disable text alerts coming through while on a call!

Last edited:
Unless I read it wrong, the OP said it was an alert not a "ring". That's an annoyance brought up before....I wish Apple would allow us to disable text alerts coming through while I'm on a call!
which iphone and which ios are you talking about? i'm using iphone 4s ios 5.0.1 and i have no ring text alert when receive a new text message and while in phone call even though the volume of my alerts are all up to top. The phone vibrate for a second when a message comes in while i'm in phone call, and it plays the ring alert tone loud and clear when a text message comes in and i'm not in phone call.
at the other hand, the clock alarm app is the one which blow loud while in phone call, i have to remove the phone from my ear and tap on "snooze" or "ok" for the clock alarm stop. I found that clock alarm thing very annoying.
So if you are meaning text message alerts, the phone vibrate when you receive them, but if you are talking about the clock alarm app, yeah it rings really loud in your ear when you are in a phone call and that alarm goes off.

I have a 4 with iOS5. I don't think the OP, nor am I talking about the clock alarm at all. Just talking about message alerts coming through while on a call. I don't have my phone set to vibrate unless I have it on mute. But, according to the info in settings, there is no "vibrate only" for text alerts while on a call.

But, yes, I have a problem with text alerts coming through while on a call. Wish I could find the other thread where we were discussing this.

I have a 4 with iOS5. I don't think the OP, nor am I talking about the clock alarm at all. Just talking about message alerts coming through while on a call. I don't have my phone set to vibrate unless I have it on mute. But, according to the info in settings, there is no "vibrate only" for text alerts while on a call.

But, yes, I have a problem with text alerts coming through while on a call. Wish I could find the other thread where we were discussing this.
I definitely do not have such an issue with my iphone regarding the incoming text message while in phone call. Maybe i'm having a setting which i just never pay attention too? anyway i will wait until an iphone 4S user input to see if i'm the only one at the good side.

I appologize for lack of info... I have a white iPhone 4 16gb ios 5.0.1 it is set for tone AND vibrate. I was talking to a co-worker today that has the same phone as I except his is black (not sure if it matters or not) and he said his makes a soft tone similiar to call waiting and it vibrates as well.

I have a 4S and I also get a loud alert for a text message that comes through during a phone call. It happened to me yesterday and scared the wits out of me. I have my text alerts set to tone and vibrate. I didn't think that there was any way to stop it, just something that you have to put up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net on Sprint

I've talked to a lot of people about this and it seems to be a part of iOS. I'm hoping they will address this in the next update. It can get annoying.

I've talked to a lot of people about this and it seems to be a part of iOS. I'm hoping they will address this in the next update. It can get annoying.
part of the iOS? I'm not having that issue on my phone on iOS 5.0.1, so its not completely part of the iOS, certainly a bug in the iOS which appear on some devices only.

..My wife is complaining of this same problem. She says, while she's on a call and receives a text, the song plays extremely loud and also she cannot hear the person she is talking to. Optimal would be...

Not on a call = text song plays.
On a call = vibrate alert only.

Would really love to be a hero and fix this problem for her.

Thanks a lot folks!

..No info on this?
nope. it's a really frustrating bug that wasn't there in iOS4. another frustrating problem is to have separate volume settings for things that don't seem to work. so my side keys turn up or down my ringer volume But those same side keys don't affect text volume - unless you catch the tone AS it's happening. so if you have a really quick text tone you'll never be able to grab the side keys fast enough to turn up the volume. only if you have a song play for text tone would you be able to physically grab those side keys to turn up the text tone volume. then when i try to set from within settings, where there IS a separate text volume button it seems to get "reset" by the side keys randomly. uggh