What's new

Is the iPhone 4 good without data plan?

snipes1836

Reaction score
So I want to get the iPhone 4 16GB. I will have a basic calling and texting plan.
So, my question is, is the iPhone 4 still good to get even if I do not have a data plan, so no facebook, web browsing, etc.
I have wifi at my home, so I can only use it there.
Also, I already have a 32GB iPod touch 3rd generation, so is there another phone I should get?
Thanks!

snipes1836 said:
So I want to get the iPhone 4 16GB. I will have a basic calling and texting plan.
So, my question is, is the iPhone 4 still good to get even if I do not have a data plan, so no facebook, web browsing, etc.
I have wifi at my home, so I can only use it there.
Also, I already have a 32GB iPod touch 3rd generation, so is there another phone I should get?
Thanks!

Yeah it's still good. It works great over wifi. Did you purchase 2nd hand?

Perhaps I don't fully understand your question, but you can't get an iPhone (at the subsidized price) without a contract that must include a data plan. When I went shopping for smartphones quite some time ago, the very first thing I learned is that they all require a data plan.

Perhaps I don't fully understand your question, but you can't get an iPhone (at the subsidized price) without a contract that must include a data plan. When I went shopping for smartphones quite some time ago, the very first thing I learned is that they all require a data plan.
I'm getting this from a friend. So would it still be worth it, or would another phone be better?

snipes1836 said:
I'm getting this from a friend. So would it still be worth it, or would another phone be better?

The iPhone is a great phone. I've never had any real problems out of mine. Since you won't be using any data on the go the battery life would be superb I imagine. Mine lasts all day on one charge with heavy usage. I bet without heavy data use, you could push 2-3 days out of the battery.

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0)

Which ever carrier your friend has you might be required to get a data plan.

Which ever carrier your friend has you might be required to get a data plan.
I already made sure of that with him. I can get the iPhone, and not get the data plan :)
But I just want to know if I will be able to experience what it has to offer even without the data plan.

snipes1836 said:
I already made sure of that with him. I can get the iPhone, and not get the data plan :)
But I just want to know if I will be able to experience what it has to offer even without the data plan.

Well yeah it's just you won't be able to use data on the go. That's it lol.

It'll be that way with any smartphone you buy without a data plan!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0)

snipes1836 said:

Ok. Youre good then. Just remember some apps require a data plan so be cautious of what you install.

I think its worthless to even get a smartphone with out a data pkg!

I don't see how you can phone service whatsoever on an iPhone without a data plan, even if you do get it from a friend????

Why not just get an iPod Touch?

jbs06civicsi said:

+1. It defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. Lol!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

darkstar2007 said:
+1. It defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. Lol!

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0) Moderator @ iPhoneforum staff

+1. I agree. What would be the purpose of even owning a iPhone. It's not a feature phone.

jbs06civicsi said:

I second that! Smart phones are all about having a on the go library to hand! Wi-Fi is great if you plan on becoming a recluse but you will need another option either having to find a free wi-Fi area which in my opinion is a pain in the scruples or have 3G as back up!

OK, I'm gonna stick my neck out here.... The original OP was given an iPhone.
He wants to use it as a phone. Good.
He wants to use wi-fi when available. Good. He probably has other Internet options.
He doesn't want a data plan because he doesn't need it, as shown above. Fine.
I see nothing wrong with this. And I believe ATT (or VZ) would tie him into a phone-only plan, since they won't have to subsidize the cost of the phone with data plan pricing. Basically, he wants an iPod with calling capabilities, and I think ATT would accommodate him. Sounds good to me!!
To snipes1836, are you still following your own thread?? If so, what do you think? What will you do with the device? Did you get your answers?