What's new

Is it safe to charge my iPhone all-night through my MacBook (which is also charging)?

siro300104

Reaction score
I'm on a camping trip and tonight the power strip I brought with me broke, which means the switch won't stay on, only if you hold it down. Now I got the idea that I can charge both of my iDevices from one cable/outlet using my MacBook's USB ports for my iPhone. For clarification this is what my step looks like:

Outlet ------------- MagSafe Power Brick (45W) ------------- MacBook Air ------------- iPhone 7

Is this safe to do all night?
The Devices are:
iPhone 7 w/ Apple USB-to-Lightning cable
MacBook Air 2015 w/ 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adaptor
210-230V Outlet aka. European

(Since this is my first post if I did anything wrong (category, length of post, etc.) please tell me)

It's perfectly safe to charge all night. The only thing that occurs to me is that some Windows machines will turn off their USB ports if they go into sleep mode. I don't know if the same applies to the Mac. Welcome to the forums!

The only thing that occurs to me is that some Windows machines will turn off their USB ports if they go into sleep mode. I don't know if the same applies to the Mac. Welcome to the forums!
I don't think so, but thank you for the tip. (And even if, I guess I can live with the morning having my phone plugged in directly)