What's new

Is it safe to buy used or refurbished devices? Why does Apple allow FaceID parts to be replaced with aftermarket or third-party parts and still work?

NoFunForMyLife

Reaction score
Is it safe to buy used or refurbished devices since FaceID could work and the FaceID parts could be aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts? Why does Apple allow FaceID parts to be replaced with aftermarket or third-party parts and still keep FaceID working?

I have noticed a lot of people have bought Amazon Renewed iPhones. I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about Amazon renewed iPhones and seen a lot of people think it’s a good value and are happy with their phones. I also see people that buy used or refurbished iPhones elsewhere. I do want to state I am autistic, so I worry a lot and I'm sorry in advance. I just want to feel and be normal. Anyways, the people that buy these refurbished and used iPhones have jobs, are college students, and just are all kinds of different people. I just don’t understand how their eyes and/or skin has not been damaged since a lot of them have gotten iPhone models that have FaceID. From my understanding people have told me you can replace FaceID parts like the dot projector or IR camera with a aftermarket or third-party part and FaceID will still work. Although Apple says this is not safe and can cause injury to your eyes or skin. Apple says "Improper repair, modification, or use of nongenuine Apple components in the laser systems might prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly, and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin." So what I don't understand is why does Apple even allow FaceID to work and continue to function if FaceID parts have been replaced with aftermarket or third party FaceID parts which then prevent the safety mechanisms from working. Why not just put safety measures in place to disable FaceID if aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts are used to begin with? How Apple phrases it makes it seem like if you replace FaceID with aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts it will continue to function and disable safety features and then be unsafe, unknowingly to people that don't know their FaceID parts are aftermarket or third-party parts. Especially those who buy used or refurbished. So I am very concerned and wondering how all of those people who have bought Amazon Renewed, refurbished or used iPhones don’t have damage to their eyes, vision or skin. They would not know whether or not the FaceID parts are original or the FaceID parts are aftermarket or third-party parts. Especially if FaceID works. I do not understand how these people don't have damage to their eyes or skin. They wouldn’t know the difference between the original FaceID parts and aftermarket or third-party parts. They just assume that since it works it is safe. I am not so sure though because people have been telling me you can use FaceID parts that are not the original parts. Although I really do want to try and get a refurbished iPhone in the future just to try it because I love reviews and YouTube reviews and it has made me very curious. Most people I have seen are pretty happy with the phone they have gotten, even though it has FaceID and can be dangerous, if FaceID works and the parts are not original, and instead are aftermarket or third-party parts.

I just want to be able to use FaceID and also know the parts are genuine and the original parts and are safe and be able to experience using a refurbished iPhone like others have been able to do. If FaceID works does that mean the parts are original and genuine and safe? Would it not work if the FaceID parts were aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts?

Thanks for reading all of this or parts of it.

Is it safe to buy used or refurbished devices since FaceID could work and the FaceID parts could be aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts? Why does Apple allow FaceID parts to be replaced with aftermarket or third-party parts and still keep FaceID working?

I have noticed a lot of people have bought Amazon Renewed iPhones. I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about Amazon renewed iPhones and seen a lot of people think it’s a good value and are happy with their phones. I also see people that buy used or refurbished iPhones elsewhere. I do want to state I am autistic, so I worry a lot and I'm sorry in advance. I just want to feel and be normal. Anyways, the people that buy these refurbished and used iPhones have jobs, are college students, and just are all kinds of different people. I just don’t understand how their eyes and/or skin has not been damaged since a lot of them have gotten iPhone models that have FaceID. From my understanding people have told me you can replace FaceID parts like the dot projector or IR camera with a aftermarket or third-party part and FaceID will still work. Although Apple says this is not safe and can cause injury to your eyes or skin. Apple says "Improper repair, modification, or use of nongenuine Apple components in the laser systems might prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly, and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin." So what I don't understand is why does Apple even allow FaceID to work and continue to function if FaceID parts have been replaced with aftermarket or third party FaceID parts which then prevent the safety mechanisms from working. Why not just put safety measures in place to disable FaceID if aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts are used to begin with? How Apple phrases it makes it seem like if you replace FaceID with aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts it will continue to function and disable safety features and then be unsafe, unknowingly to people that don't know their FaceID parts are aftermarket or third-party parts. Especially those who buy used or refurbished. So I am very concerned and wondering how all of those people who have bought Amazon Renewed, refurbished or used iPhones don’t have damage to their eyes, vision or skin. They would not know whether or not the FaceID parts are original or the FaceID parts are aftermarket or third-party parts. Especially if FaceID works. I do not understand how these people don't have damage to their eyes or skin. They wouldn’t know the difference between the original FaceID parts and aftermarket or third-party parts. They just assume that since it works it is safe. I am not so sure though because people have been telling me you can use FaceID parts that are not the original parts. Although I really do want to try and get a refurbished iPhone in the future just to try it because I love reviews and YouTube reviews and it has made me very curious. Most people I have seen are pretty happy with the phone they have gotten, even though it has FaceID and can be dangerous, if FaceID works and the parts are not original, and instead are aftermarket or third-party parts.

I just want to be able to use FaceID and also know the parts are genuine and the original parts and are safe and be able to experience using a refurbished iPhone like others have been able to do. If FaceID works does that mean the parts are original and genuine and safe? Would it not work if the FaceID parts were aftermarket or third-party FaceID parts?

If your heart is set on buying a refurbished iPhone, i would suggest you get it direct from Apple. It will carry a year’s warranty and be perfectly safe.

You already received an answer in another thread, didn’t you?
They told you FaceID would not work if repaired with non-original parts.

“Can you replace the FaceID sensors with third-party parts or swap FaceID parts from another iPhone to another iPhone like the dot projector?”
Can you replace the FaceID sensors with third-party parts or swap FaceID parts from another iPhone to another iPhone like the dot projector?

Last edited:
If you disable and choose not to use FaceID is it still constantly scanning for your face and using the dot projector to project the IR dots or are those things turned completely off and the FaceID components are completely off and don't do anything?

If you disable and choose not to use FaceID is it still constantly scanning for your face and using the dot projector to project the IR dots or are those things turned completely off and the FaceID components are completely off and don't do anything?

If it’s disabled for safety reasons, I assume it doesn’t scan either.

The infra red sensors on iPhones are incorporated in processes other than face recognition, so even if you turned off Face ID, it wouldn‘t turn the IR sensor off.