What's new

Can you replace the FaceID sensors with third-party parts or swap FaceID parts from another iPhone to another iPhone like the dot projector?

NoFunForMyLife

Reaction score
Can you replace the FaceID sensors with third-party parts or swap FaceID parts from another iPhone to another iPhone like the dot projector and IR camera? How do you know when you buy a refurbished iPhone that the FaceID sensors are original and not third-party parts or have been replaced or tampered with?

You can‘t replace the Face ID sensors with third party parts. You need a trained technician who uses genuine Apple parts to repair your device, as replacing the components with nongenuine parts can cause dangerous injuries to eyes or skin afterwards.
It‘s also not possible to use parts from another iPhone. Some parts of your iPhone are paired to the logic board for security reasons. One of them is the front camera. So this connection is unique, and will be disabled, if you use parts from a different iDevice. Only Apple can pair a new front camera with your existing logic board.

You can‘t replace the Face ID sensors with third party parts. You need a trained technician who uses genuine Apple parts to repair your device, as replacing the components with nongenuine parts can cause dangerous injuries to eyes or skin afterwards.
It‘s also not possible to use parts from another iPhone. Some parts of your iPhone are paired to the logic board for security reasons. One of them is the front camera. So this connection is unique, and will be disabled, if you use parts from a different iDevice. Only Apple can pair a new front camera with your existing logic board.
So if it's dangerous to your eyes or skin why can people use aftermarket third-party aftermarket parts like the IR camera and dot protector for FaceID and FaceID still works? How do you know if a refurbished iPhone has the original FaceID parts?

The part that can do harm is located in the laser systems.

See Apple:
Apple components in the laser systems may prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin.

If Face ID works, you‘ll know that it has the original parts.

See Apple:
Apple components in the laser systems may prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin.

JA, I think you mean "non-Apple components ..."

JA, I think you mean "non-Apple components ..."
Oops, thank you! It looks like part of the quote didn‘t make it to this forum.

Here‘s the full quote:
Improper repair, modification or use of non-genuine Apple components in the laser systems may prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin.

See Apple:

Why would Apple put components in the laser systems that would prevent safety mechanisms from functioning properly? The Apple statement doesn’t make sense to me. It’s confusing. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the safety mechanisms in the first place? So if FaceID does work, it is safe and the components are safe and original, and not aftermarket or third party FaceID parts?

Oops, thank you! It looks like part of the quote didn‘t make it to this forum.

Here‘s the full quote:
Improper repair, modification or use of non-genuine Apple components in the laser systems may prevent the safety mechanisms from functioning properly and could cause hazardous exposure and injury to eyes or skin.
If that’s the case then why would FaceID work if there were aftermarket or third party FaceID parts, if Apple says it would not be safe.

If that’s the case then why would FaceID work if there were aftermarket or third party FaceID parts, if Apple says it would not be safe.
There are more than enough shady people out there, trying to profit from other people‘s needs by whatever means. I wouldn‘t trust someone who tells me that Face ID works after replacing it with third party components. Nowadays, you have to know who to trust.
This is a trustworthy site:
And here‘s also more information about Face ID.

Why would Apple put components in the laser systems that would prevent safety mechanisms from functioning properly? The Apple statement doesn’t make sense to me. It’s confusing. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of the safety mechanisms in the first place? So if FaceID does work, it is safe and the components are safe and original, and not aftermarket or third party FaceID parts?
The quote wasn‘t complete, as you have seen in the post afterwards.

There are more than enough shady people out there, trying to profit from other people‘s needs by whatever means. I wouldn‘t trust someone who tells me that Face ID works after replacing it with third party components. Nowadays, you have to know who to trust.
This is a trustworthy site:
And here‘s also more information about Face ID.
So then you are acknowledging and saying that face ID will work with aftermarket or third-party parts?

I said they try to get your money without anything working.
But if FaceID does work, it means it has to have the original and genuine parts? Meaning that it is safe to use, right?